http://http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=1482164&GUID=90B4B334B6924494A5F7D79F72BD582E&dlr=1
DaveVB, I'd have to say that is a "purpose' built trailer. Probably for the military or NASA. And it would have had a Prime Mover to hook to it also. Just my .02 worth
Looks like a PIA to change those inside tires. My friend has something like that in Mexico but it's only a two axle. He just uses a regular truck to haul it. Here's some pics
if u look at the picture that is a straight on rear view to the right of this trailer there's a second one and to the left there's a prime mover.
Theres a normal semi hooked up in the pictures...:beatsme
Take your pick of tractor unit does not need any special truck to haul it, Where I work we have trailers like this working every day
Now, I no longer drive truck but..... I'm pretty sure I wouldn't put 250 tons on that trailer and pull it with a normal road tractor as it sits in the picture. I am sure it is special purpose built, but with no evidence of a jeep and the way it is angled up in the back (due to the way it is configured, a higher fifth wheel height than normal) I figured it would take a little bit more than a freightliner to pull it loaded. While I admire the pictures included of the lowboy, I don't think it compares to the one I posted. Well, nevermind. I thought it was a cool trailer and it would take a monster truck to pull it, but the professionals say otherwise. Have a good day. DaveVB
here is the truck that used to pull that... the power o google is our Friend! LOL http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/...6&GUID=4fe468da4171407c84dd7c38f881f00a&dlr=1
The C 500 series from Kenworth is a popular heavy hauler. Even though it is a Kenworth. Other than that a lot of custom trucks are adapted.
They may have pulled 300 tons with the old GI truck, but I bet they did not pull it far or fast. A Pacific, Hayes, or a big Mack or Autocar heavy haul rig with planetary rears and 14.00 X 20 or bigger rubber would be my choice.
That truck is a MACK
DaveVB, While that was probably ordered with a purpose in mind, it was probably used for short moves over the time they owned it, like from a barge site to destinantion and that type of move. The company that owned it, Deep South Cranes, definitely has the prime movers to hook to it with. Their inventory shows a Cline and a KW. It doesn't mention the Mack/Army truck, so that supports the link showing it for sale. They also have numerous other trailer options available in their inventory that pretty much place that trailer in the "old and outdated" fleet.
Thanks rigandig!!! Nice looking Mack also!
Odd enough of a name, but up here, we call those trucks "Desert Sows" Here are some by Marcep Manufacturing out of Stony Plain, Alberta
My guess there would be a big dolly put under it and a couple of prime movers up front and perhaps another up the back pushing. Sort of like this arrangment http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nycqfEpxDc This is a helper truck at the back for pushing up hills (if someone finds a pair of mufflers to fit a Superliner, please return them to HHA ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIv08kun6vM&NR=1
There was a similar trailer used in PSNS to move large sections, reactor and engine room sections for subs within the shipyard. IIRC, they used a yard tug to move it, but it sounded like it was spinning pretty fast for the road speed it was going.