Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Any problems with 268?

ditch digger ยท 2012-09-30 10:57

Looking at a Cat 268 for Sons snow removal business. Any know problems? Cat has the best service in his area. He was also looking at 252 and 262s but came a 268 that looks like a ok deal.

Replies16
  1. #1barklee2012-09-30 22:31

    I have a 246c and 246b model Cats. They have both been great machines, they just eat throttle cables and have misc A/C troubles. The only thing i can say is stay away from the Cats with the Perkins engines. I have heard many horror stories about those engines in this application. Good Luck!

  2. #2ditch digger2012-09-30 22:46

    What happens to the perkins in the skid steers . I have Perkins in 2 Cat backhoes. so far so go. Hard starters in cold weather. I have a Cat CP 433C compactor it could even have a Perkins. I have only own case skid steers.

  3. #3Digdeep2012-10-01 07:59

    Good high flow machine for snow removal.

  4. #4xcmark2012-10-01 19:11
  5. #5Digdeep2012-10-01 20:34

    268 had the 3.3L CAT branded Mitsubishi.

  6. #6barklee2012-10-01 22:19

    Read "another perkins pukes" on this site. I have heard of several stories like this. I dont know for sure if the 268 had this engine option or not. Just making you aware there is a potential.

  7. #7Digdeep2012-10-02 09:46

    The engines that had trouble were only the 2.2L engines. They had head gasket issues and oil pick-up tube issues. The 3.3L engine that is in the 268 is actually a CAT branded Mitsubishi that is currently still running in the C series machines. It has been virtually bullet proof in the field as most Japanese engines are.

  8. #8ditch digger2012-10-02 12:10

    Good to here 268 has the good engine.

  9. #9ditch digger2012-10-02 12:53

    Is the Mitsubishi engine in other cat machines. End of this week I will be looking at Cat 252, 262 and the 268. Son wants a 102 inch snow bucket .

  10. #10Digdeep2012-10-02 21:24

    Yes. All the SSL/MTL/CTLs with the 3.3L are using the Mitsubishi.

  11. #11hjetty2012-10-07 10:23

    We have ran one for 2400 hrs and have had great luck. 90 % of the last 800 hrs have been with a high flow tree saw. Believe it or not the worst issue so far as been a cracked oil pan, don't ask me, not a scratch on it just looked like fatigue. all in all, we have had great luck. no hard starts here in central ks. at about 20 degrees

  12. #12durallymax2012-10-11 20:56

    There is a bulletin of some sort on the A/C for the C series at least pertaining to the A/C condensor fans popping fuses all the time if that is you problem. To the OP. The C series have more creature comforts but the B series I think is still much nicer to just jump in and quick get something done.

  13. #13ditch digger2012-10-13 12:43

    Found a 2010 Cat 262C 850 hrs. Thinking of going with it. Fully loaded everything but tunes. It is what they call radio ready? Cat wants $750.00 for Radio$$$$. Is there less costly radios that would fit and plug right in?

  14. #14SchuLace2012-10-13 19:28

    Panasonic CQCP137U is what we put in most Cat machines. I think it is right around $150ish for the radio and another $25 for the harness needed to connect the machine and radio.

  15. #15ditch digger2012-10-13 19:31

    Great were could we find those?

  16. #16durallymax2012-10-16 21:03

    You can put any radio in that you want. I had the diagram the other day of what each color wire did the other day and threw it away. I suggest a marine radio. The Heavy duty radio's work too but there is less options. Jensen is the big seller and they have a lot of issues with internal failures resulting in uncontrollable volume. A CD player is your choice. It won't hold up to the dust, if you are a very neat operator it might, but for most people it will fail after awhile. Buy an MP3 player, or buy a USB radio and upload all of your tunes to a thumb drive. I guess you could just listen to AM/FM though too. Around here our radio stations are all oldies, or the top 40 from ryan seacrest, only one decent rock station left. If you need the install instructions the dealer should be able to get you it. otherwise I think I still have them. The Document number is REHS4045-01 If you want to double check prices here are the 4 part numbers for different radios listed on the sheet I have. I do not know any specs on them just the numbers. If the deal isn't done yet make the salesman throw the parts needed and a radio in to sweeten the deal. 200-5729 241-4936 284-8953 331-5297 In addition to either the CAT radio, or your radio of choice, you will need one of each of the following to complete the installation in a radio ready machine. 179-4324 : Locknut 8T-0328 : Hardened Washer The Following parts should be located inside the radio cover if your machine is radio ready. 8E-1118: Antenna 200-5728 : Radio Harness 9U-8746 : Coaxial Cable 258-4039 : Spacer Its pretty simple to do. Basically pull everything out of that compartment, flip the cab up, unbolt the l bracket from the box that will house the radio. Cut the correct holes into the box for the radio. Take the metal sleeve for the radio and install it as you would in any other DIN situation, then install the radio. Slide the large ring of foam around the radio from behind the cab and remove the backing paper so it will stick to the back of cab. Plug the harness and coax into the radio. Slide the cables through their proper holes in the box and slide the box tight to the cab then reattach the L bracket to the radio with the nut you had to buy and reattach it to to the cab as it was. Cut the zip tie if needed to remove the radio harness from the harness it is fastened to then plug the radio harness into it. Bring the cab back down some and install the antenna on the left side of the cab, then attach coax cable. Stick the remaining pieces of insulating foam where they belong on the back of the box to seal it up and after testing the radio bolt the cab back down. good luck.