I have owned my 873 for about 8 years and have had few problems. A few hours of service ago I notice just a spot of hydraulic fluid that was leaching out of the front cover that acts as a clean-out access to the foot pedal cavity on the throttle side. Yesterday I noticed a bit more fluid so I lifted the cab, pulled off the access cover that sits just below between your knees and the side covers between the tires. The left side looked very clean but the throttle side with plate off revealed just a modest amount of what appeared to be old leakage over a long period of time. I wiped off the center plate that had come from inside between my legs and put some silicone gasket material on it and reseated and tightened down. I noticed the upper footrest bolt was missing so I took the footrest completely out by removing the bottom bolt. Could not see where any fluid was getting out there. I put the footrest back and decided to borrow a bolt from side viewing cover to tighten it up. I found that the reason the bolt was missing was because the threads on the machine were stripped. I didn't give it much thought cause it appeared to be missing for quite awhile and I was sure the fluid was not coming from there? Today I dropped the cab and ran the machine for about 20 minutes before I notice fluid was literally flowing out the front from below my right foot. I could see it from the inside cause I took that front plate on that side off to look back up in there under the foot pedals. I would be very grateful if anyone might have an idea of what I may have wrong or some ideas of where I might start to look to find where the fluid is coming from. Thanks.
As for the stripped hole for the cover plate, common problem with Bobcat. Rust/corrosion causes the threads for those plates to be compromised over the years. Bobcat threaded those holes with 3/8-16 threads. Simple solution, run a M10 x 1.5 tap through the hole, fit a new M10 x 1.5 bolt, and use plenty of never-seize on those bolts. As for your leak, the oil is most likely coming from the innards of the machine. You probably have dirt build up in belly of machine that won't allow oil to leach out of the bottom of machine, so it builds up to the point that it comes out the front of machine, at clean out covers. Any number of hoses and connections can become a leak under the cab, but look closely at the loader function control valve below the throttle control, look for leaking spool seals for control valve, common problem.
^^^ what wille said. most common (right side) leak is the rear control valve spools :drinkup
Thanks Guys, How bout helping me find how to get where I need to be. Again, on the 873 is the easiest way to get to the vicinity of the possible leak to lift the cab and then, let's say I look from standing in front where the bucket would be looking to the rear? I searched this view the other day and could not find any leak or area looking like a leak? Sorry, but all I saw was fairly dirty area with a lot going on. I appreciate the help...
It's hard for us to find your leak Bub as we're not "the eyes on the ground" as it were. Given what you've posted, oil leaking from from clean out cover, that indicates something is leaking oil as there is nothing related to oil in area of front cover. The best evidence of leak we see is what you posted, you removed covers between tires, left side was dry, right side showed evidence of oil, that indicates something is leaking on right side (as if you were sitting in seat). Any number of things can leak in that area from failed hose, failed o-ring on o-ring boss fitting, and the most common culprit, leaking seals on loader control valve. It may not be a "pouring out oil" leak making it difficult to find. But if you can't find the source of the leak, then I'd suggest taking the machine to someone who has the equipment to give the machine a good serious cleaning. Once you get all the dirt and crud from the belly of the machine you'll be able to tell what's dripping fresh oil in a clean machine belly.
raise the boom, and install the lift arm safety stop. raise the cab look for a "clean" spot, thats the easiest way to pinpoint a leak. when you find the clean spot, look above that area, leaks run downhill. :drinkup
Thanks for the help! The good news is I found the link. Now, it gets interesting. On my 873 the control valve is mounted on the throttle side just about mid way front to rear. The leak is on the rear of the control valve where there appear to be two knob-like pieces sticking out in fairly tight quarters. One of the pieces has blue on it and the other has red color on it. I can't tell which one is actually leaking but could probably nail it down. Could you tell me what those piece protruding to the rear are? Are they removable and do they have o rings or are they part of the control valve? Can they be repaired without removing the entire control valve or not and any suggestions. Going from hear to google a schematic and hopefully I can learn some there. So grateful for this site.
Ah yes, the leaking loader control valve seals, common problem Bub. Check out this thread, although nothing specific about the 873, however, you'll probably find some similarities. Pardon some of the bad pics, that was a time when my blackberry was doing some goofy stuff taking pics and I was unaware of it at the time. HeavyEquipmentForums
follow wille's link your machine may have some tubelines and/or hoses in the way. remember, push the spools from the front to the back, until you can get a firm grip on them, if you pull hard enough on the detent assembly on the back of the bottom (lift) spool, you'll loose the balls and spring, and they can be a PITA to get back on without the recommended tool. :drinkup
The thread was great. I can visualize most every step it will take to get the deal done. Couple quick questions; how about is there a problem if I use my pressure washer under the cab-up? And lastly for now there are some hoses to the rear of the control valve that appear to be exactly where I need to pull the spools out. They appear to be fairly firm. Should I take loose one end and try to move or try to just push them out of the way? Thanks Greatly.
clean , clean, and when you think it's clean, do it again. nothing sucks more than having to deal with layers of grease, oil and dirt what i normally do, is get the spools loose 1st, then see what they are going to hit on the way out. on most machines the fuel filler hose will need to be at least loosened from the filler neck, moved out of the way, usually easier to just remove it completely if it's gonna be in the way sometimes pushing, prying or lifting will get hoses out of the way, some of the tubelines can be a real PITA to move, unless you loosen both ends it's hard to tell, the 873 was probably one of the most "re-engineered" models over the years. plumbing was akin to an octopus on those machines, especially units with bucket positioning, hiflow, and secondary aux. :drinkup
Oh yeah...................I am a lucky guy!!!! I have bucket positioning, hiflow, and secondary aux. I am waiting on the kit now. Thank you.
I do believe that's the most appropriate description that I've ever heard of. And I agree, clean it, not unusual to spend 3 or 4 hrs cleaning a Bobcat that's got years of grime in the belly. But make sure that oily grime won't be a problem on your ground. If you have to, drive the machine onto a spread of visqueen so it will catch all the crud, after it dries up a bit you can ball it up and dispose of it. I try to get one as clean as possible, but one thing I've learned, there's no such thing as getting a Bobcat clean...only clean-er than it was.
i did rear spool seals on an 863 hi flow, bucket positioning, 2nd aux last week. your 873 should be very similar definitely remove the fuel filler hose there are 2 steel tubelines that run from the control valve to the bucket positioning valve, i removed them from the control valve, and loosened them approx 1/2 way off the bucket position valve, that gave me enough room to slip the spools out of the control valve. 3 hrs. i spent another 3 steam cleaning before i ever started :drinkup