Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Any tips on removing exhaust flex pipe?

RobVG ยท 2012-09-19 14:49

Got one under the cab to do tonight. Anything to make it easier would be appreciated.

Replies9
  1. #1Komatsu 1502012-09-19 16:29

    Cut off wheel on grinder, slit it lengthways. Torch not good if its stainless and messy anyway. Before I had real tools a muffler chisel but it's ugly.

  2. #2BlazinSS9342012-09-19 17:42

    Air chisel with a chisel tip works wonders Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3Water Doc2012-09-22 19:46

    I always find a quick cut with the hot wrench to be the best method You need a torch with a good tip though and get right to it. Can't get the flex pipe to hot or else it starts making a mess

  4. #4RobVG2012-09-23 23:01

    Did it yesterday. Thanks for the tips. It wasn't as bad as I thought. But one clamp under the cab was turned away from me so I couldn't really get to the bolts. Cut-off wheel on die grinder worked good.

  5. #5willie592012-09-23 23:13

    Zizz wheel on a die grinder is what I use as well rob. So you fitted a new flex pipe? I always use stainless pipe as opposed to galvanized flex pipe, lasts much longer. Also, I prefer using preformed band clamps as opposed to u-bolt clamps. And BTW, you do know not to install the flex pipe backwards?

  6. #6RobVG2012-09-24 10:41

    Backwards?

  7. #7willie592012-09-24 19:04

    Yep, backwards. It's not so much a problem on stainless, but on galvanized flex, if it's installed backwards, the exhaust flow pressure gets into the seam joint and causes it to fail a bit quicker. Look at it like shingles on a house, if they were installed backwards with lap joints upward, toward peak of roof, water would go under the shingle instead of shingle shedding water.

  8. #8Dualie2012-10-03 23:26

    plasma cutter served me well for a long time.

  9. #9tuney4432012-10-04 10:13

    I'll be dipped in manure there Willie.Funny now,as I didn't ever think of that when it seemed like I was replacing that galvanized crap every year on my beast of a dump truck--73' Jimmy with the 6-53'r.I must have always lucked out having her backwards uh? You'd think they would have directional arrows on the pipe for those who don't get worldly advice from Willie.