I had a truck dealer contact me about an older mack they have in very good shape. It only has 94K Miles on it and it has good specs for us to use as an "in town" dump truck. They sent me a bunch of pictures, and in one I noticed a crack in the bottom of the outer frame rail in between the spring hangers. It doesn't appear to be a big deal as long as it can be repaired and be legal and there aren't a bunch of other cracks. So my question is: What are the DOT criteria for frame crack repair? Its a horizontal crack, so no vertical welding would need to be done. Thanks!
Might want to look at the truck in person or have the dealer get some pictures inside the frame rails.This type of crack on the edge of the outer frame rail often comes from rust damage between the frame rails.The rust swells up & pop's the outer flange.Cant help you on DOT criteria or whats legal in your area.
Thanks td25. Im thinking I'll stay away from this truck. Im too leary of the crack.
come on nedly, if the price is right? doesn't seem like to big deal to me. all depends on how picky your local d.o.t. are. i have seen plenty off cracked frames. you did say it is a double frame right? all depends on the price. hope you have been well my friend. regards, cd
I'm waiting to hear back from them regarding the crack and tare weight. If the price is right I will own it. I have a certified welder who can repair it, I just don't want to get into a can of worms. all's well here, hope you are doing well and staying busy!