We are trying to free wheel a series II 5535/6635 Gehl that currently does not start. As far as I know - you cannot free-wheel a skid steer. Of course - theres a lot I need to learn lol. Any ideas would be awesome - thank you.
Some you can but I don't know about your unit. Hopefully someone will chime in here quick, but you could try calling the service dept of your dealer, or maybe someone in parts would know. A lot of parts guys are ex-mechanics and are good about offering ideas. For sure, their mechanic would know. What year is your machine?
Thanks JeepWalker - thats a good suggestion. I will call up Gehl on Monday if nobody here chimes in. Good question on the year...I know its a series 2 but the exact year I am not sure of (first step is to get it off the trailer and thats why we need to free wheel it off the trailer and into the shop).
It's been quite some time since I worked for the Gehl dealer. I do not recall a way to free-wheel them. When we would winch a dead one on we would grease the trailer up, soapy water just something to lower the coefficient of friction. I have all the manuals for the 35 series at the shop, I'll set myself a reminder to take a look and make sure there isn't a procedure to make it easier to move dead stick. What's wrong with it? I have some Gehl parts leftover from the dealership days. Even parts of a motor. Junkyard
You know I don't know whats wrong with it other than the fact that its not running. Its up to me to get it running and back to life - as well as maintenance. Now whether it has windowed the block or just something simple I don't know yet. Thanks for checking on the free-wheeling. Since we will be removing it from a trailer I won't have the time to do anything major most likely - but if is simple enough just so the flatbed driver can winch it easier (along with soapy water on the trailer deck) then I would be all for it. I will let you know if I need any parts - more than likely will need parts as well as major advice!
Worst case jack it up and put a plank and roller under the tires to roll it and not skid on the tires.
Ok thanks to everyone.
Well it looks like theres no built in bypass. Which makes sense because I think we can all close our eyes and image "that guy" flat towing a skid steer if they had built in a free-wheel bypass option. LOL Next step is getting it running. I don't know what is wrong with the engine other than "doesn't work." Its a 4 cylinder Deutz oil cooled 1011 I believe. I guess the issue with the engine could run the entire spectrum. Hopefully if its a bottom end issue, the block is still usable and doesn't have a nice little window installed from the inside out.
Does it turn over ...crank move? Did the previous owner know anything about it, or was it an 'auction-type' purchase?
I don't know if it even cranks. The previous owner was a broker and told us it needs engine work and I made the rather unintelligent decision to give it a shot! I am just really hoping the block is usable. If the block can be salvaged, then I have access to an awesome machine shop who can do the machining and I can build the engine. If the block is windowed then I will be looking for another engine. Once I have physical possession of the machine I can give more information on what the condition is. I have built Cummins engines but never a Deutz.
It's a pain in the back side, but if I remember correctly, you can unbolt the axle housings, and give it a tug and slip the spline off the sprocket, shove the sprocket and chain towards the drive motor and put your axle back on, it will now free wheel. The sprocket literall rides against the wall of the chaincase, so there is no nut holding it on.
If there is a nut holding the sprocket on, well, there should be either a bolted on access panel at each axle on the inside wall (inside the cab and inside the engine compartment), or a rubber cap covering an access hole. It doesn't take much room to get a socket with an extension in there to break that bolt loose.....grab your 3/4 - 1" set with a heavy breaker bar, a cheater pipe and a a big ol' boy to squat down on it. While you have the wheels off, you might try to slip that sprocket out of the drive motor inspection plate, it might have enough clearance to let that sprocket slip by, if not, go gently. I hope I got to you in time, and this helps ya
Well we got it in my shop. Soapy floor did the trick lol. Onto the next mystery...which I will put in a new thread so as to keep this one on topic of only moving immobile equipment.