Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Any way to tell how many hours on IH truck without hour meter?

fourwheelinj1 ยท 2016-10-28 17:23

I am looking for a new to me IH dump truck. I have found a 93 model 466 engine, 6 speed, air brakes, 33k GVWR for a decent price. The problem is the odometer says 2000 miles which is obviously not right. The truck was originally a plow/salt truck for a state agency. The current owner said when he bought it the odometer didn't work then either so he has no idea of the mileage. He says it runs good with no issues, but I would hate to buy something that has 12k plus hours on it. I know on newer trucks the dealer can hook up to the computer and get the engine hours but I am not sure what year that started. I am assuming this truck is too old for that. I have had a really hard time finding a truck with these specs without it costing $10k so this one has me interested but the lack of being able to tell the mileage has me pretty concerned. Thoughts?

Replies5
  1. #1bam19682016-10-28 18:20

    Others may disagree but personally I would be more interested on the repair/overhaul/maintenance history of a truck of that vintage. I think, generally speaking, that previously being a state truck that it was probably maintained pretty well. I would rather buy a well maintained truck with a million miles on it than one with 200,000 miles that had never seen a grease gun. Just my $.02

  2. #2Delmer2016-10-28 19:14

    Agree with the above, except I'd be fine with something that has had regular maintenance, and nothing overhauled or repaired. You're talking about a 93, the hours are kind of irrelevant after a certain point.

  3. #3John C.2016-10-28 22:02

    I have a friend who was the manager at an equipment dealership some years ago. I was in the office grinding BS with him one day when a sales rep came in with a customer wanting assurances about how long one of his use machines on the lot was likely to last. His answer was that the new machines were on the other side of the lot.

  4. #4Mike Van2016-10-29 05:35

    A former salt truck, i'd be really looking at the frame - I guess in NC they wouldn't get as much salt in them as here in New England, a 1993 up here would be about shot.

  5. #5fourwheelinj12016-11-01 12:21

    I finally got some better pics of the truck. Rear frame is eat up with rust. Oh well the search continues.