I've got some fencerow clearing and brush moving coming up and was looking at grapples. I have a Deere 310A backhoe, 2 spare 2x8 hydraulic cylinders, a pile of scrap steel available and decent fabrication skills. The wheels are turning and I'm reviewing everything I can on grapple designs. Has anybody added a grapple to their older backhoe? The hydraulics are my main concern at the moment. Specifically where to tie in. I know I have a closed center system. I'm debating on plumbing in my own standalone 3rd function hydraulic circuit, or adding one of those electric switch valves that uses an existing function temporarily to run the grapple. I've never run a grapple personally, so I don't know how critical it is to be able to use both functions at once, ie closing the grapple and adjusting bucket position at the same time. Also, if you have any inputs towards grapple design, I'd be interested. This will be an add-on grapple to my existing bucket as my old 310A is not quick change friendly.
Here is a store bought version of what you are talking about. How accessible is the curl function lines on your JD? That is where I would tie in a diverter valve. Lots of threads discussing this over on tractor by net. I considered it on mine but my lines are not easily accessed before they split. I wouldn't want to add two diverter valves.
There was an old Amulet design that worked for some of the older hoes that used cams to close the grapple or thumb against the bucket as it was curled. no hydraulics involved. Someone on here did something similar themselves - try a google search. You can also tie into the hydraulics for the stabilizer circuit since you'd be unlikely to need them both at the same time. Let us know what you come up with - I need one too.
Are you talking about a grapple on the front bucket, or a thumb on the backhoe bucket? Either way, the closed center system makes it simpler to add another valve at the system, but I'd probably go with a electric operated splitter with the bucket curl. Never done it though...
I have seen 'The Thumb' before somewhere else. I'm kinda of wanting to build like a root grapple style upper jaw, but split it in 2 so that they can close better on irregular shaped objects. like the jaw on this, but split it in the middle so the 2 halves and close independently. Maybe not the better alternative, I'm not sure at the moment. I think the lines are fairly accessible, though I'm out of town and not near my backhoe to go visually verify.
Really similar to this one actually... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-...981802?hash=item4abd634e2a:g:L8sAAOxyhSBSBvDJ
I don't see any difference between my backhoe hydraulics and my tractor FEL hydraulics. So adding a Grapple should be very similar. I built a Grapple for my tractor and control it with a Kubota 3rd function kit. My backhoe was built with a 4n1 bucket. If I converted my bucket hookup to a SSQA style I could put my tractor grapple on the backhoe. Convert the 4n1 bucket to SSQA and I could use it on the tractor. Same hydraulics required. My Kubota uses a true 3rd function. It will lift the booms, curl the grapple and close/open the claws at the same time. Speed is dependent on hydraulic GPM. Same with my backhoe which simply has a third valve. Diverters are commonly used to add 3rd function. The curl function is diverted to the grapple by pushing a button. Operators with this system say it's no big deal to push/release the button. You just can't perform all three at once. I can understand how that can work very well with a little thumb practice.
when I added the 4 in 1 to my 580 I used a diverter valve. They work so nice and the button is much better then another leaver
Yep, my 555A uses a separate lever. My Kubota uses a solenoid valve. Two buttons on the joystick for thumb use. One open, one close. Very handy with continuous operation of all three functions.
I bought a grapple rake for a skid steer. It came down to a lack of time with my current work schedule. I had 2 weeks to get 4 weeks worth of stuff done, and the brush and logs in the field need to be moved before Sunday.
And the new grapple broke this morning. Lower cylinder mount ripped right off. The lower cylinder mounts were poorly fabricated. They were never set tight to the frame and that left a large gap between the two pieces and they weren't welded properly around the bottom of the frame. Just a **** poor execution. Couple hours of grinding and welding has everything beefed up and solid.
Sorry to see what happen to your grapple, how does the rest of the grapple look/work? I have been looking at grapples and there are a lot of different stylus and prices and always wondering about the quality of them.
Grapple looks light where did ya buy that one ?
Overall , the grapple works like it should. We moved 4.5 cord of logs with it today and all of the associated brush, didn't have any more issues. It is on the lighter side , but I'm using a 753 bobcat so I have limited capacity. Its 72" wide, but it actually pairs well with my machine. Some of the real heavy grapple rakes can weigh 1000 pounds or more. For the low volume of work I'll be doing with it, this grapple will work just fine.
Thanks for the information on the grapple. Glad to see its working good now.
My expensive heavy duty grapple did the same thing. Both cylinder rear mounts had only one thin bead of weld. The way they were welded they could easily peel right off and one did. Like you, a hour with the grinder and welder made them solid. Been holding for 10 years now.
Greetings, nubie first post here. Great thread, lots of good info. I've just bought a 310A and am looking to add aux hydraulics on both the loader and the hoe. Maybe a grapple bucket or dozer blade on the front, and a thumb or breaker on the back. Just wondering what the best methods are for making any of these work. Any guidance is appreciated. @colson04 I am especially interested in your grapple project.
I never did add aux hydraulics to my 310A. I bought the skid steer grapple and it has more than met my needs for the past 3 years. I've used it quite a bit for various projects since 2018, and it hasn't let me down or forced me to look for a bigger machine to accomplish the same work.