Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 420D steer cylinder repair

tomo ยท 2018-04-04 23:12

Does anyone have any idea what it would cost to have the dealer rebuild the steer cylinder on a cat 420D that has a ZF front axle where the cylinder is built into it . It needs to come out because it's leaking out of the housing. Just looking for a ballpark figure I've been told these can be a bear to get apart. The machine has 7000 hours on it. Thanks for any input.

Replies5
  1. #1Vetech632018-04-05 07:19

    Your first born.

  2. #2heymccall2018-04-05 09:04

    Never done one... doesn't look too complicated.

  3. #3Delmer2018-04-05 14:29

    I'd say they're both right. My guess: $2,000 +100% or -50% from a dealer, or about $100 in parts if you do it yourself. Dealers these days only replace parts, anything that gets rebuilt is sent off to a factory. Unless you want a new axle, this forces them to take something apart in the shop, which gets time consuming. I don't see how this would be any different than taking any other cylinder apart, except you can't put it on a bench, and I don't have a cylinder bench.

  4. #4heymccall2018-04-05 15:58

    The cylinder comes out of the axle, after removing the tie rods, and hoses. The cylinder barrel has external seals on it to the axle housing. And, just like any other cylinder, it has wipers, u cups, and piston seals once torn down.

  5. #5tomo2018-04-06 22:32

    Thanks for the replies.