I had a aggrivating drip on my triaxle front rear end so Saturday I knocked and pulled the axles then Monday pulled the power divider and pig out of the axle assembly. Cut new gaskets then on the back side of the axle the drive line comes out to go to the rear rear end. I cleaned it all up and put new seals in and had a bright trouble light and could see a hair line crack running along the top side of the housing where it was welded togather. So I ground it out and ran a new weld along it. I figure and may be wrong but figure the bearing was bad at one time and before it was repaired the vibration cracked it . What's your opinion ?
I worked for a place that had welded the pumpkin to the housing, because it was vibrating the bolts out. The driveline between the diffs had about a 1" wobble It was still on the road a year later.
haha very common problem actually! your weld is a fine fix as long as you had good penetration
Sounds like someone put the slip joint back together in (out of time) position