Have you altered your cab lights or operating lamps? I'd like to upgrade my cab lights being they are not bright enough when operating the backhoe bucket as well as the loader bucket being the lens have gone gray in color and most likely worn down a bit. I'm concerned not knowing what Amp Alternator I have, I looked all over the two shop manuals I have and found nothing as far as what the amps were for the Alternators JD used on my "88" 310c hoe.... I'll guess the OEM cab lamps were most likely 55 amps. I rather not go with 55 Amp lights again. I found some nice 100 Amp off road lamps that will bolt up just great, but if the Alternator is lets say a 65 Amp then am I correct to assume I'll be drawing 35 Amps off the batteries if I use the 100 Amp lamps?
http://www.jwspeaker.com/index.html http://www.candlepowerinc.com/ I think a guy from jwspeaker is a member of the board here...you might try doing a search for lighting here on the board as well. This site has an excellent tech section... http://www.madelectrical.com/ This site does too. http://www.danielsternlighting.com/ Did the search for you! Hope this helps, Alan627b
Great, thank you, I'll look right now...
Good stuff.... them web sites you posted for me one lead me to this link here at ( http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html ) which was very informative about measuring the voltage drop in many head lamps wiring systems. It explains how to get better performance out of the headlamp system that have significant voltage drops, by installing the use of relays on headlamp wiring systems that didn't have any relays in their original system design.... good stuff to find out.... But I still need to read and search some more about what I'm asking. I'm still not sure how to tie this info all together with Amperages, etc... and how much it does matter such as the reading by having relays, etc...
Volts x Amps = Watts: Hello joeeye59, I think most light bulbs are rated in watts... not amps. Alternators are rated by amps... although they can be rated in watts also. A 64 amp alternator @ 24 volts will put out 1560 watts. I have 4, 150 watt lights mounted on the limb sweeps of our dozer... plus 5, factory lights... in other places. The dozer has a 45 amp, 24 volt alternator... which lets me have 1080 watts. I'm getting close to the limit, with all accessories and all lights on. OCR PS: I'm going to get some HID lights as soon as I get the nerve ( money ). LOL Also... this link doesn't seem to work... I get a message... Sorry, no matches found.... :beatsme
I'm so mentally exhausted... yes of course lamps are rated in watts and my Alternator in Amps :Banghead Geeeeze! thank you... I wonder how much longer I would have kept calling them that Good thing you mention ("A 64 amp alternator @ 24 volts will put out 1560 watts.") .....this is the first machine I ever owned that has two batteries, so I forgot that I have two 12v batteries making it a 24 volt system... So then I would think its okay for me to buy them four 100 Watt off road lamps replacing the JD stock lamps where they are mounted. it's them lamps mounted on the corners of the cab roof.... I can never get going in the morning, so often I'm working into the night and would like to be able to see what I'm doing..... So I should be able to run another wire perhaps mounting another lamp on the hoe arm right where I'd be digging, not sure if thats ever been done and safe? What the scoop on them HID lights, I read a little on them since you mentioned them, what do they do? burn the paint off of the other vehicle thats passing you out, or that drives by you... lol...
Having two 12 volt batteries doesn't necessarily mean you have a 24 volt system. If the batteries are connected in series(positive to negative) then yes you have a 24 volt system. If they are connected parallel( positive to positive, negative to negatve) then you have a 12 volt system.
Me Too!!! LOL I have the same problem... LOL. Yes, but the lamps have to be rated for 24 volts ... If you use 12 volt lamps... you'll get a lot of light... for a very short time . OCR
I can't remember anything out there today thats made that has two batteries that are not hooked up in 24 volts... I think the trucks Chevy made that had two batteries may not have been hooked up in 24 volt.... I forget it was so long ago... and a boat comes to mind that had two batteries not hooked into series...
So I better skip the nice lamps they have in Harbor Freight, they say 12v at 55 watt.... thanks for the heads up, I keep forgetting to pay attention to having 24 volts I'll go to Fleet Pride since they sell mainly big rig items...
Are you.... Positive??? LOL Absolutely correct.... :thumbsup OCR
I'm not sure how these posts and forums work as far as software and such, perhaps the forum automation like the auto reply software thats set in place thru the server is having software gliches, like major system files getting corrupted giving out little tweeks in service, it took a few months before I started to get emails saying I got a posted response to a thread I wrote to or started...
Any pickup truck ever built with a diesel engine has two batteries in parellel and is 12 volts. The purpose for this is to double the cranking amps for cold starts. Not trying to start an arguement just think you need to be sure before purchasing lights.
I have 4, 12 volt batteries... connected in parallel, on our 9370 IH truck tractor. Harbor Freight might have 24 volt lamps... :beatsme OCR
Your not starting an argument ALLEN66 ... the difficult part about emailing while asking and learning is you don't hear the persons voice not knowing the temperament, attitude, spirit, outlook, demeanor and so on.... I never have a closed mind, it's always open to what people suggest or advise, its the only way to learn, gives me info to look up and use, things to learn.... By you suggesting that I better check out things I took another look at my manuals to find there are many reading in the electrical system calling out when diagnosing the reading should be 12 volts. So I already know I have the batteries hooked up in 24 volts... Now I need to see why "OCR" was telling me ((the lamps have to be rated for 24 volts... If you use 12 volt lamps... you'll get a lot of light... for a very short time.)) I need to take a reading at my lamps to see what there for volt... So if it's 12v does this mean I need to use a 12v lamp rated for 24v battery... Because my batteries are hooked up in 24v... now I'm getting confused
Ahhh, dont worry about that... Deas isn't online yet..... :lmao OCR... ...
The guy who sold me the hoe said Harbor Freight would have the hyd filter a little cheaper for it... I never knew what Harbor Freight was or even existed.... it looks to sell parts only for tractor trailers, not sure what else they sell and for what... Anybody have more info what you can also get at Harbor Freight that would be good to know?
If the lighting circuit tests to be 12 volt then you need 12 volt lamps if it tests out to be 24 volt you need 24 volt lamps. It isn't uncommon to have a 24 volt starting circuit and 12 volt lighting circuits and other circuits.
Oh okay... I never knew they made 24 volt lamps... for a moment there I thought there was more to the specs on what to use.... I seem these days when ever I just assume I make a mistake, thats why I ask redundant and stupid questions a lot lol...
Buy some HID's be done with it.
Yes they do make 24 volt work lights for equipment. I've purchased them in the past from either Harbor Freght or Northern Tool and Equipment not sure which one any more.
I might if they don't cost too much.... I don't plan on keeping the machine for more than 3 years give or take.... plus it depends on how many jobs I can get with it... I mainly bought it for a few major projects around my house and yard....
HID lights: About $500.00 each!!! Although Speaker might have lowered their price. This is the forum members user name.... Walkerj. I talked to him several years ago, about HID lights... long before either of us had joined this forum....Here's a link.... http://www.jwspeaker.com/catalog/forward_lighting/model_9710_9720.htm Also here... with a lower price... maybe??? http://www.oviedosafetylights.com/J..._24V_for_Snowplow_Construction_and_Mining_Use OCR
might be able to get some kind of govt grant to help pay for them!! :Banghead
joeeye, what I am going to recommend is not meant to be negative in any way, but what I've gathered from your posts in this thread. It appears you don't have a lot of knowledge of electrical systems and I'm going to suggest you either have someone who is knowledgeable add these lights for you or at least have them supervise your work. With a faulty installation you risk damage to your electrical system or even a catastrophic fire of the machine. According to all specs I've found on the web, the 310C has a 12V electrical system as was my 410 and the batteries should be wired in parallel. If your batteries are indeed wired in series, they can not be recharged properly with a 12V alternator and I doubt would start the tractor. In adding these lights you will need to be sure to use the proper gauge wire and a switch capable of handling the amperage you'll end up with. Just an FYI, there are no 12V bulbs rated for 24V, 12 is 12 and 24 is 24.