Be warned, foul language in video. http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0ca_1268219058
Falling Dragline Boom Hope this has not been posted before - Curragh is a mine near Blackwater - Central Queensland Australia There is some swearing in video - it is in context of situation . . . . . YouTube - Curragh Boom Fall.wmv
Alrman: I merged your post here so its all in one spot. One of the posters says its a Fake but another says its probably this one: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/12/09/2441704.htm
Here's a link with an explanation and more photos. http://www.stripmine.org/cgi-bin/an...d=get&cG=3353837353&zu=3335383735&v=2&gV=0&p=
Same crane doing a previous job. Successfully. http://www.stripmine.org/cgi-bin/an...cG=2333837343&zu=3233383734&v=2&gV=1&p=#23874 :drinkup
Yes, there is. (Specifically, the "F Bomb", if you need advance warning so you can have the sound turned down.) But I have to agree that in that situation, even my Grandma might've said the same thing. Coverage, from a crane-specific outlet.
when you watch video at about 21 secs look at the blue crane - something shoots about 40 - 50 metres into the air before a ball of flame comes out of the crane. At 28 secs a piece of debris flies accross the entire screen - from right to left - in the foreground The more I look at it the more I can see - amazing nobody was killed ( as far as I have read about it)
It looks like the holding crane lost it ability to hold the load. I can hear what sounds like something spinning up as the drag line boom begins to fall. The main boom on the super lift gets thrown back taking the weight off the back boom. That basically turned the main boom into a sling shot. All I can think of with the debris and the fire is the main drum spun up so hard that it flew apart. I'm sure it was a hydraulic motor driven unit and that would explain the fire. The other cranes that went down would also be a major concern for safety of the crew. If it was me on the ground and lived through that I might have to consider going to church on Sunday. Not many way a person could survive under all that falling iron. Thanks for the thread.
It's well worth the time to read the threads diggerop posted in posts #4 and #5 here. In addition to giving some insight into the accident, the second thread shows what the operation should have looked like. Now I know what the role of all those various cranes surrounding the dragline was. I've watched the video over and over, just to try and catch absolutely everything that happens. Ther's an awful lot going on all at once...
I think that was the torque converter or engine blowing up from running backwards and overspeeding.
Hi guy's i too saw the video on youtube and after doing a simple google search i found a site with some pictures of the damage after it was all over here is a link http://forums.dhsdiecast.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1091567