Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Anybody rebuild Eaton Fuller Trannys?

Muffler Bearing ยท 2009-03-27 22:05

Hi, as I was putting together another 10 speed today I wondered about all those special eaton tranny tools in the OTC catalog. Does anyone have any of that stuff? Special blocks to time the shafts? Special bearing drivers? I drive the bearings in with an old bearing I wallowed out. I drive the old ones out with a punch. I guess I just don't know if the job would really be easier with those job specific tools. If any body has some of those and uses them please let me know. Thanks for your input

Replies6
  1. #1td25c2009-03-27 22:22

    I always used small wood blocks for positioning the countershafts for timing.If I was doing it on a daily basis ,I might get the special tools.

  2. #2Muffler Bearing2009-03-27 22:31

    Yeah I just wad up some cardboard to hold the counter shafts out of the way. See I do it about every other month and I just don't want to buy something I won't use. Like my "awesome" truck brake spring tool. Frickin' tools are like a heroin addiction

  3. #3td25c2009-03-27 22:47

    Tool's,without them man is helples.My wife tells me that tools are the only thing separating me from an ape.

  4. #4Red Bank2009-03-28 16:29

    Muffler Bearing, it has been a while since I rebuilt a transmission, but it was Eaton 10 speeds we had at the trucking company I used to work at, no one in the shop wanted to do them, I loved to do them and I don't remember having to have anything special, except the manual.

  5. #5Muffler Bearing2009-03-28 17:39

    Thanks, that's pretty much what I wanted to hear.

  6. #6td25c2009-03-28 17:51

    If I remember right,the OTC timing tool was shaped like a horse shoe.It fit in the bering hole and allowed you to postion the countershaft without mashing your fingers.I guess it would not be hard to make one.