Just fishing to see if there is anyone else on the forum in the Mud truck business. I think they would be here in the "other" catagory.
You may want to look through the truck section, a little further down from here. I used to drive a concrete mixer years ago in New York City. One of the best jobs I had in my career. Here is one of the trucks I used to drive. It is a 1972 Mack F-900, with a 15 yard barrel. Enjoy, John
I am not in the concrete mixing buisines.I am working on a FWD 6x6 truck.It was originally a concrete truck.Here is a picture.There are a few more in"post your wrecker pictures" forum.
I am no longer in the Ready Mix business, but I use to run a small operation with three Advance Front Discharge trucks. 6 axle 11 yard drums. Those things would go anywhere and the customers loved them. Here is a pic of a bridge we were pouring on.
Wow those are some big dogs! Nice chain drive on the Mack! thanks for the history lesson you guys. My drivers bitch when they have to drive one of "old " 99's
Good pic mudmaker.We have used front discharge trucks for allmost 20 years in my area.I would have to think awhile if they showed up with a rear discharge truck.But we got it done back then.
i think you drove trough a wonder bread package :drinkup
Seems like once you get use to a front it is hard to want to hang onto a chute again with arms waving!
Well said .If I get an experienced driver on a front discharge mixer,The driver does most of the work.Places the concrete where its needed.
sorry i could not resist,
Very nice, Cat385. Touche' :drinkup
15 Yard mixer Wow, that is a heavy looking mixer, the tires look exceptionally large, are those 14:00 x 24? How much weight did a 15 yard 3 axle mixer gross at? Dug
I like those old FWD's Hi 25c, have not seen one of those in quite some time. By looking close,that almost looks like a Dodge cab? Since I am a 2 cycle Detriot Diesel fan, does it have one? They just don't sound right with out the scream of a Detriot. If you go to youtube, there is a 3 axle FWD driveby with a 6-71 Dug
Here we are at our ready mix planr getting sand for the ice covered parking lots. We don't have any front discharged units. Still all old school here. There are 2 pump trucks capable of pumping around 75 ft.not pictured. Cement here runs around $125/yd for 5.5 bag mix. 3 yd minimum.
Good eye! There was a stretch where Dodge pickup cabs were used in manufacturing FWDs.
That is 14:00 rubber all around, with double studs on each spoke. I would guess at 4000 lbs./yard we were carrying #60,000 of concrete plus 400 gallons of water if I remember correctly, the truck had to be in excess of 100,000 lbs. John
It is my understanding that there were no weight restrictions in New York city and whenever a broken manhole cover was found they automatically went to the concrete producers for compensation for the replacements.I imagine that weight laws have changed by now but who knows.When we changed our fleet to front discharge all of our Macks went to Long Island to a supplier there.They were DM 800s with 12cy mixers and B81s with 9cy mixers.I hated to see them go,those Advance mixers were nothing but trouble.Ron G
RonG, There are weight limits now in NYC and the other boroughs. I would say the mixers now run between 10-12 yards. Don't quote me on that as it's been over 15 years since running a mixer in the city. Who wound up with your old rear discharges? I am from Long Island and curious. John
It has been many years now,too many to remember but they were Orange cabs with blue mixers if you happened to see any when they arrived.I am going to say that it was probably early eighties when we made the swap.They were mostly Jeager mixers,a couple of Smiths in there too.Ron G