Got one in the shop right now with a severe crack wrapping around the rear of the block. Heres a few pics.
Wow! nope.
I should mention it's a 425 HP 7FB engine that may have had the pump "messed" with.
Hmmm can’t say that I have. Most issues I’ve seen were up front and mostly due to motor mount problems. You think that’s a break due to mounts/alignment or extreme tractor pulling cylinder pressure? Lol.
Yeah, but through the middle just above the crank? How would more torque do that? The piston pushing down on the crank, and the pressure pushing up on the head splitting it apart?
Oddly enough the trans has a twisted mainshaft and a couple of broken countershaft teeth. RTOO 15speed. 2+2= ? Driver said the trans just started "ticking". It is a 1986 model engine.
Okay, I'm back to "Wow!"
I'm assuming cataclysmic shifting mistake involving a cell phone. But the world may never know.
Check YouTube. I bet there’s a video of the driver showing a new technique!
I have seen a 3406E that cracked down the oil gallery on the right side. From the front to the about between #4-5. It had a turned up ECM in it.
Is that the guy with the 5 foot shifters?
also worked on a 3406E that had a cracked oil gallery on the right hand side approximately in the area of #4 or 5 (don't remember) . crack was a couple inches long and followed the gallery. if memory serves me correctly it was a 550. no history- it came from a Ritchie Bros sale. also had a crack in the oil pan- looked like a rock had squirted out from under a front tire and smacked the side of the sump
First up it's a 3406B. Second up, just how much extra power did the "master injector pump rebuilder" (© thepumpguysc) tell the owner he was gonna get afterwards..? 550..?
Yep. Fake set of sticks because he couldn’t drive a real set!
Any zip tie marks on the wastegate hose. I had a 3406B back in the 90s . Put it on the dyno for Harco warranty. Ours was only good for 500 hp. Pulled fully loaded like nothing. The only thing that was out of the ordinary was manifold pressure was through the roof. IIRC, 36 psi boost. Found the wastegate hose kinked and zip tied. Didn't see anything else out of the ordinary. With that kind of pressure, I could see something like that happening.
Sounds like a good application for some of this: https://www.flexsealproducts.com/product/flex-seal/
was the flywheel housing to block gasket leaking? were all the flywheel housing bolts tight? I worked on a 3406 that was one of the last mechanical fuel inj engines. cat had decided to use gasket eliminator on that surface instead of a gasket. what a dumb idea. cat admitted that they produced a few thousand this way before going back to the old way. when they leaked, it was caused by the housing squirming on the block. the fix was to have the housing re-machined flat if possible or install a new housing. also, scuff up the mating surface on the block to roughen up the shiny areas. then use a gasket like the older engines
That would have been my First choice, one of two possibilities came to mind. The other was somebody used a jack under the drive shaft to wrest a stuck U-joint and instead of Bell housing fail the block cracks where additional Cataclysm shift or bang shift completed that detail.
Water jacket back there? What are the chances the block froze?
Does not appear expanded from freeze. Whatever occurred boat anchor now.
I had an 06B that I purchased new in 86 that mysteriously broke the manifold studs a couple times... a curious night shift Service manager at a Cat store near me took her to the dyno. Some furry woodland creature must have been taking a night apprentice class on torque rise and air fuel because somehow they had spun out... quite aways. He assured me he had returned it to stock settings and it probably had better stay there for the term of my warranty. It is really amazing how much that engine will deliver to the tires!
Mystery is pretty well solved, Found out today that certain lots of '85 and '86 model years engines would crack like this just because they could. Not sure if it was a casting issue or a design flaw. Thanks Mike. I have a reconditioned block on the way, should have this one blown apart mid next week and send the cam and crank out for mag inspection and recon.