Hey was wanti g to get your guys opinion on Eaton DS380 rear ends vs the Rockwell SQ100? I have the SQ100s in a dump truck and would like something much stronger. Is there something better than the SQ100s i can put in my truck? Any gear guru's out there?
Mack top loaded axles. Like the old camelbacks. Dump truck and rock jockeys had more clutch problems from inexperienced drivers than axle failures. I think the CH models still had them. Don't know if they're in production still. They had inefficient parasitic losses but made up for it in reliability. IMHO
380’s aren’t any better that the SQ100’s. Maybe worse actually. Very easy to snap a through shaft or wipe out a power divider trying to get rolling in soft conditions etc. I know lots of guys running both and some can keep them together for a long time. Others not so much lol. If you could find a cutoff with some 46k full lockers that would be a reliable setup. I see them reasonably priced from time to time. I’ve heard the 40k Rockwell’s in later model stuff, like 2000 and newer, are reliable. The model number escapes me at the moment.
What junkyard said. I have gotten along with SQ100’s fairly well. They are tougher than 380’s or 402’s. Have put some 404’s in with lockers, that I haven’t tore up yet.
Mine snapped the pinion shaft on the front drive axle coming out of a quarry loaded. A set of 46k full lockers sounds just like what I want! Do you remember any model numbers so I can narrow a search or have any suggestions where to look? Also I think some of those heavy spec rears are limited in avalible ratios? Is this correct? I kinda wanna stick with 3.70 ratios.
one truck of mine is a Rockwell 20-145. Haven’t had any problems in the ten years I have had it. I had looked into putting lockers in it and they were available.
Eaton 461’s are one that comes to mind. They’ve been around awhile. You’ll see them in 2 speed, regular open diff or full locking. If you throw a set of full lockers in get the valve to plumb them so they unlock when you flip into the high side of the trans. It’ll save some burnt up stuff when a driver overlooks kicking them out.
Hard to beat 461’s. I have them in two old trucks.
What about spicer dsp41's? I picked up a set today out of a 97 KW. Got the whole cut off for $300!!!! Figured for that price even if they arent what I need its good trading stock!