Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Anybody who has liftet the cab to renew the rubber seal and paint

Justin Payne ยท 2021-03-18 05:05

Hello all, I have a Kubota U50. The white paint on the cab is not looking very nice. A lot of rust. There is a sponge like seal under the cab to keep out rainwater. This seal seems to let water into the cab and absorbs water creating rust and green growth. I would like to lift the cab slightly to clean this area thoroughly, paint and renew this seal with something more rubber like. Has anybody loosened and lifted their cab? Or have any other comments? Appreciate any input

Replies3
  1. #1John C.2021-03-18 10:41

    Most excavator cabs are just a shell. Six or eight bolts can be removed from the inside bottom sides and the shell can just be lifted off without messing with any wiring or linkages.

  2. #2Quint2021-03-18 20:01

    See if you can get a operators manual, it should have the procedure. Atleast on my Hitachi as John C mentioned its about 6 bolts, mine has a built in jack thing that raises it once its unbolted. Looks like the same issues I would run into up here in WA state USA. If it doesnt rust, it develops green moss growing on all nooks and crevices. Good indicator for how long things have been without a good wash. If its been a really long time they get ferns growing out of em.

  3. #3Midnightmoon2021-03-19 14:18

    Shoot me a pm I can send you a service manual