Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JCB 803plus (2004) – Hyd fluid replacement

Ed Dixon · 2021-03-11 13:27

Hi All. I recently inherited a JCB 803plus and need to change the hydraulic fluid as it had a bad leak which i have fixed with a replacement hose. I bought a new hydraulic filter (woah expensive !) ready to do the change. Before i dropped the old oil out i thought i would check to see if i could release the cap at the top of the tank. I removed the 'dip-stick' cap from tank to vent any pressure but could not shift (what looks like aluminium) cap that would reveal the filter. Didnt want to put too much force into removal until i checked in with you guys to ask if anyone has a service guide for this job, or tips on how to remove the screw hatch. thanks very much in advance for any replies. regards ed

Replies8
  1. #1uffex2021-03-12 04:35

    Good day Ed I have a contact with the operators manual if that helps, providing the pressure is released I would suggest leave it be. Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2Ed Dixon2021-03-12 12:15

    Thanks Uffex. Can you explain what you mean “leave it be” ? I would like to change the hyd oil and filter as it’s had a bad leak and I suspect it’s lost at least 10L of fluid, but can’t see where else the filter would go except for inside the aluminium looking screw cap on the top of the tank. That is really tight. Cheers Ed

  3. #3Ed Dixon2021-03-14 08:30

    Hi. Here is a photo of the top of the hydraulic oil tank. The ally screw thread will not budge. How do I get at the filter ? thanks

  4. #4uffex2021-03-14 12:11

    Good day Ed See what you mean bite the bullet and get tough if it busts I have posted a link for a new one. Kind regards Uffex

  5. #5Nige2021-03-14 12:41

    It appears as though the cap engages into an internal thread in the filter housing body. Clean off all the oily residue around the area first, hit the body of the filter housing with a blowlamp or similar heat source, then whack the ***k out of the cap..?

  6. #6Ed Dixon2021-03-14 16:55

    Thanks guys. I will heat carefully and shift it with a large set of stilsons and a tube. Thanks for the link Uffex to a similar replacement part if all goes bad !

  7. #7Nige2021-03-14 17:08

    If you can get a 2nd pair of hands put weight on it with the stilsons then have someone else smack the top of the cap with a dead blow hammer to try to shock it loose.

  8. #8Ed Dixon2021-03-16 19:20

    Thanks for the replies. I went for it with the Stilsons. Dead hammer blow did the trick and it came loose.