Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

anybody workin in north dakota

deerefan ยท 2012-02-09 19:56

Heard there hiring like crazy out that wey, just woonderin if any ones out there, and how it is. How's the money/housing. Thinkin bout headin out there in a few weeks and checkin it out, thanks in advance

Replies20
  1. #1grandpa2012-02-09 21:43

    if you can find your way to work everday, they will hire....

  2. #2deerefan2012-02-09 21:47

    Operators?

  3. #3wildhorse trnr2012-02-09 22:49

    I know RDO is recruiting hard and heavy and making some good offers, I considered their Svc. Mgr. spot in one of the N. Dakota branches, but it gets way to cold for a Texas boy up there!!!!! I have heard that the oil/gas drilling companies are paying top dollar for operators/mechanics/drivers.

  4. #4oldtanker2012-02-25 09:14

    Friends son just finished his internship as a welder and took a job out there, room, board, 2 weeks on at 12 hrs a day, one week off, 100K starting. They are building "man camps" like mad and the money is there. Family housing is almost nonexistent. They are looking for operators (I was in a farm field this fall right off a state highway digging rocks out of a field with my TLB for my BIL. A guy for one of the companies over there stopped and walked out to me and ask if I was looking for work so they are hurting for people who will stay. He was telling me that with 12 hour shifts a lot of guys quit after 2 weeks or so and in the winter it's worse. I know they are looking for mechanics, operators, welders and drivers. Wildhorse......the JD dealers in Alexandria Mn has a guy from LA working there....come on it's inside work! Rick

  5. #5deerefan2012-02-25 16:46

    Thanks for the info Rick, any advice on a good area or town to he'd for?

  6. #6oldtanker2012-02-26 01:28

    Try looking on the net, Williston area. Rick

  7. #7deerefan2012-02-26 17:08

    Yea I've been searchin the web, I've heard alot of companies wont hire off the web because of lack of housing. Im just tryin to maybe get somethin half wey lined up before I he'd out there, try and get a camper or something like that rented before I he'd out there

  8. #8oldtanker2012-02-26 17:21

    Right now that's hit and miss. They are building like mad but my niece and her husband live close by the area (he's from Tiago just eat of Williston) . According to them housing is still tight but getting better by the day. Best bet would be to try contacting rental management and realestate people. Some of the companies have started putting in their own man camps (dormatory style stuff) and are providing room and board with a mess hall type dining facility. The other option would be to have your own camper but finding a place to park that can be a problem. Rick

  9. #9deerefan2012-02-26 17:25

    Hey thanks rick I really appreciate the help, any idea on some good companies to apply at that are hiring operators?

  10. #10Colorado Digger2012-03-07 19:11

    i have been following this thread and lots of people from my parts have headed up that way. trucker's and excavator's. it is funny beacuse we just bid a subdivision up there. have always been the guy that says "no way" but we may see. i think the work is paying better than around here and there is plenty of it.

  11. #11oldtanker2012-03-07 19:46

    There is a reason they pay so well. The weather can and will be brutal! -30F without a wind chill is common! Many people who go out there quit when they experance it the first time. I'm talking about coldthat can kill you. Not saying don't go, but you better be ready for it. At -30, with no wind chill skin can freeze in 10 minutes. Proper clothing is a must and not something you can go cheap on. Trying to save a few bucks on boots or a pair of gloves can cost your feet or hands. Rick

  12. #12deerefan2012-03-11 21:53

    Yea im pretty used to and prepared for the cold.. im just tryin to get somethin lined up before I he'd out there, that wey it takes some of the risk out of it.. that's what im tryin to do anywey

  13. #13oldtanker2012-03-12 08:10

    Latest news I have from out there is that they have some places that are hiring on line but most you have to be there. Rumor control has it that the best way to get hired is to just go out and hit the cafe's first thing in the morning. They are saying that most people can be hired/working by noon. As far as renting something out there.....you may be better off taking a camper with you. I'll try giving my niece out there a call this evening and see what she says. She works for a news paper, mybe she will have some info. Rick

  14. #14blitz1382012-03-12 11:19

    I know alot of the outfits from Rock Springs Wyoming are sending their guys up there. You may want to make some calls to the boys in R.S., if you get hired they will probably just put you up in a man camp.

  15. #15oldtanker2012-03-12 12:09

    The kid I mentioned is home today. He says check with the following companies. Ennermax, MBI and Deer Valley Trucking. Rick

  16. #16deerefan2012-03-12 23:56

    Hey thanks rick I really appreciate all the info! And the help.. like u said I did hear most companies only hire if your already out there.. I was hopein to maybe get lucky uno, but thanks again I appreciate it

  17. #17oldtanker2012-05-01 18:53

    deerefan: Just found out my nieces husband went back out there this winter. He says to make sure you are looking for work from an ND based company. He told me that there have been cases of out of state companies not paying employees. Guess the first month or 2 they get paid then all of a sudden payday and no check. Rick

  18. #18Donns2012-05-11 11:11

    For what it's worth, I'm working on a job in Mississippi - one of the dirt contractors is EUTAW. They are just bidding some dirt work up there. Also have some ND guys here from North American Coal to start up a local mine. They tell me the area around Williston is booming big time.

  19. #19oldtanker2012-05-11 14:06

    Last word I have is go to Williston, go to a bar, tell the bar tender you are looking for work and within a few hours you will be employed. The housing situation isn't good but is improving. Rick

  20. #20deerefan2012-06-02 20:08

    Hey thanks for all the info guys, really appreciate it. Were im currently workin got really bzy so im gonna stick around for awhile longer, got some other places im interested in but im still plannin on headin out in a few months or so. Angain thanks guys