Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Anyone added an AC unit to a machine without one?

illinoisboy ยท 2012-05-31 23:19

I have a Hitachi 150-3, and I would like to see if its possible to add an ac unit. it has a good heater, but no ac

Replies9
  1. #1JDOFMEMI2012-05-31 23:45

    Try Red Dot. Here is their site. They build rugged units for construction equipment. http://www.rdac.com/

  2. #2Komatsu 1502012-06-01 06:38

    There is even a model with hydraulic drive compressor if there's no room on the engine. Pretty common dealer job. I put a Red Dot in a dump truck and it works very well although temperature control is never as nice as with a factory unit.

  3. #3CM19952012-06-01 07:29

    Reddots are good units for retrofit. A good friend of mine installed one in a L9000 back in the '90's. Still today it's one of the coldest A/C's in any of his trucks. Just so happens that L9000 was the first heavy truck I ever drove.

  4. #4RollOver Pete2012-06-01 08:49

    We've added AC to quite a few of them. Here in the desert, if its got a cab, it WILL have AC.

  5. #5DIRTROAD2012-06-01 09:31

    The picture that popped into my mind was a 110 window unit duct taped into the window behind the operators head.

  6. #6Komatsu 1502012-06-01 10:40

    Hear you go

  7. #7DIRTROAD2012-06-03 11:48

    That's exactly the sort of thing that I had pictured. I'm sure it has been done on a piece of equipment somewhere around the world. Thanks for the laugh!!

  8. #8willie592012-06-03 12:07

    Yep, spotted a Cat with a window AC unit doing a demolition job in my area DIRTROAD.

  9. #9DIRTROAD2012-06-03 23:16

    I Love it!!!!!!!!!!