Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

anyone do portable toilets?

Hydro101 ยท 2011-01-02 00:16

i have a buddy who just left a big portable toilet company.. tells me there is big money to be made and wants me to start offering the service/startup new biz.. anyone on here do this type of work? thanks

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies12
  1. #1curbside2011-01-02 10:13

    I have a friend that owns his own business in the portable toilet business and honey pumping business and I would say there is not a lot of money. It's quite competive in this area so they make a living but not big money.

  2. #2Hydro1012011-01-02 10:43

    gotcha.. seems to be a mixed bag from people i've talked to.. some do extremely well, others barely eek out a living.. but i have noticed the ones that do well (local guys) do some serious advertising and seem to really go after the business... i have no desire to get into septic pumping though, after dealing with homeowners when i did residential/commercial landscaping id never go back!

  3. #3Auctioneerhere2011-01-02 18:54

    If your in an undeserved area it may work, but as a whole I would investigate it before I spent a nickel.

  4. #4Hydro1012011-01-02 22:10

    yea im talking to my current clients now to see how many would switch.. also got lunch with my friend next week to go over some hard numbers... looks like a minimal investment. i do like it not being tied to construction and not being as seasonal though.....

  5. #5Stevenbrla2011-01-02 22:18

    Like everything else, there's money if there's a need, and someone with the money to pay for it. You've probably already thought about it, but be sure to notice how many companies are already serving your area, and how far they're traveling to do it. Seems like it would be one of those biznesses you could grow as demand does. (add units and trucks slowly with demand)

  6. #6farmerleach2011-01-03 13:27

    Their was a company that was making trailers with two porta jons on the front and a large garbage bin on the back. I can't remember the name of the company that was making them. But it seemed pretty handy on remote sites like Oil/gas well sites.

  7. #7joispoi2011-01-03 15:08

    The success of any business comes down to price and service. I've spent thousands of dollars with 4-5 different companies for toilet service over the years. If they didn't keep it clean and stocked with paper, I'd open the yellow pages and find someone else who said they would. Just keep in mind that fishermen smell like fish, cattle men smell like cows, horse riders smell like horses......if the old lady complains, just tell her it's just the smell of money.

  8. #8qball2011-01-03 19:18

    port-o-lets are not just for jobsites. they are at fairs, fests and anywhere else lots of people need to go. don't limit yourself.

  9. #9Nac2011-01-03 19:39

    Where are you located? In NJ you need a DEP Permit I dont know about other states.

  10. #10RocksnRoses2011-01-03 21:48

    Everytime this thread comes up, I think of the movie Kenny. I don't know if it was played in the US, but it was a movie made around the portable toilet industry in Australia and well worth watching if you can get hold of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfPpTeR_760 RnR.

  11. #11Hydro1012011-01-04 19:29

    nj/ny area.. what do you need a 901? have an email into both state agencies...

  12. #12Nac2011-01-04 20:37

    In Jersey you need an A901 it takes about a year to get if you have perfect background. In NY I am not sure In NYC you might need a BIC registration also about a year to get.