Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

anyone ever seen anything like this before!?!

ronburgandy ยท 2008-03-21 11:42

an excavator on top of a building!!! i got the pics off another fourm but i would have loved to have been there!! They saved the facade of the old legion building and and are integrating it into the construction of a new 50+ ft tower including an 8 story parkade spanning 2 blocks so much excavating being done in calgary it's unbelieveable!!! theres some more pics of the bow building pit at this link: http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q205/missedfit/bow building construction/ also, why would they approach the demolition this way?

Replies32
  1. #1Highwood52008-03-21 11:48

    That must be for Encana's 59 story "Bow" project. I'm surprised you can put an excavator on those old floors up thier without overloading the floor itself.

  2. #2AtlasRob2008-03-21 12:33

    It looks to me like a pad is on the roof for the machine to sit on, and almost certainly the floors will be propped below.

  3. #3DigDug2008-03-21 16:45

    Cool :drinkup

  4. #4[-Agent-]2008-03-21 17:30

    I would not want to be the guy up there.

  5. #5Dozerboy2008-03-21 18:28

    I have ran one on top of a building, but not anything that high. Its not any worse then demoing a land or water bridge. Just watch out for stair wells and elevator shafts.

  6. #6AtlasRob2008-03-21 18:46

    wooooooooo! lol, thats got to be the understatement of the day :notworthy

  7. #7Turbo218352008-03-21 19:49

    Just wait until your the guy running a skid steer up there. You just is to push all the debris to the elevator shafts. Heard one story where a guy was pushing carpet into one. The carpet stayed hooked to the bucket. It tried to pull him down the elevator shaft

  8. #8alco2008-03-21 23:57

    And people think I'm nuts for wanting to stay in a nice big open pit...pretty hard to fall anywhere when I'm already at the botom. Brian

  9. #9petersfamilytru2008-03-22 02:41

    Underground... Elder Demolition lowered a Case 9040 below Portland, Oregon and did some underground demolition. Pretty amazing to see a hoe that size being lowered into the ground.

  10. #10pwrstroke6john2008-03-22 03:30

    Crazy Canadians!

  11. #11BIGBEN20042008-03-22 19:06

    That is crazy. I wouldn't run that thing for any money. I bet the building moves allot every time that guy swings the machine around. It doesn't make sense, destroy the building that is holding you up?

  12. #12N.CarolinaDozer2008-03-23 09:15

    I'd be afraid the level below would give way. Nice pics, but thats not for me!

  13. #13Boophoenix2008-03-23 10:04

    That's not always the case around here. I'll try to get a pic. One of the supers I work for was on a job where they dug a pit in a building to pour for a very large press. They had finished the pit parked the excavator and went to lunch. Came back to find a large hole had fallin out from below the bucket ( at the botom of the pit ). I wouldn't care to be on this building either! Nice forum yall have here. It's been some entertaining reading for a couple of weeks. Cost me some zzzz's, but was worth it.

  14. #14mikef872008-03-23 11:26

    A demo company around here had a guy fall down the elevator shaft in a skid steer and got lodge between the 7th and 8th floors, he was on the 13th floor when it happened, somehow he lived.

  15. #15[-Agent-]2008-03-23 11:58

    I would be like BOOM UP BOOM UP BOOM UP to get wedged in there. Sucks, that skid steer was probably totaled. :bash

  16. #16mikef872008-03-23 13:11

    That's what happens when you hire knuckle heads. The same company grabbed a skid steer with a grapple and put it on the roof of a building. Squeeze a little to much and you crush the machine, don't squeeze hard enough and bye bye $30,000 skid steer.

  17. #17Steve Frazier2008-03-23 15:37

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums Boopheonix!! Thanks for joining us!

  18. #18newjcb123uk2008-03-23 16:28

    Don't cut that branch! That cat up top should be ok as long as the operator remembers not to bite the land that keeps him safe - we've all seen the guys who chop the branch off that they are sitting on!!!

  19. #19Turbo218352008-03-23 17:58

    Its the mentality in the demo business. Last thing i did with a skid steer was unload it from a step deck. With my 110 volvo and a set of forks. Put one fork between the wheels, and one under the the lift arms, as there was no bucket on it. Why this way? because the truck driver loader the skid steer on, and put a big shear on the trailer behind it. That was the solution of one of our higher ups. Just like instead of building a cradle for our shears, we just flip them over with loaders or excavators. Rather than put them in a cradle where they sit nice, we would flip them so they would have the flat side sitting on the trailer Demo companies do strange and crazy things. I know of a certain one that has an interesting project, and out of respect for them i wont let out all the details. Ill just say this. They are taking out a concrete structure that is 260 feet tall. The walls are very thick. They are doing it with a hammer, and they are doing it from the ground. They hammer away at it, then with some planning, they get the structure to fall straight down. 8 feet at a time.

  20. #20Accertin2008-03-23 18:37

    You notice the only equipment working is CAT :cool2, makes you want to say H'mm. Nice D series on-top. I would have to agree, there's no room for error.:usa

  21. #21Turbo218352008-03-23 20:29

    I will admit, Cat seems to rule demo. Mainly do to the uc being able to take the beating of being on concrete and debris all day. I had a 320clu with 8k hours, original uc and pads. On concrete for at least half of its life. When we sent her to auction, it could have used new pads as they were worn down and had started wearing on the bolts. The rest of the uc seemed to be in good shape.

  22. #22Wolf2008-03-30 20:24

    What exactly are they saving from the demolition? facade of what???

  23. #23ASPHALT042008-03-30 21:00

    I've seen excavators on top of some of the project buildings be demo-ed in Chicago when I have been passing through. I bet some were about 10-12 story buildings. Bet you watch just what you go refin' on while your up there! ops wouldn't be a good word......thats for sure!

  24. #24ronburgandy2008-03-31 01:51

    they're saving the facade because the city is forcing them to if they want to build on that site... i think they think it has historical value thanks for all the comments guys

  25. #25drag1line2008-04-15 14:15

    You guys are too young to remember, but before tower cranes,,how do you think they built tall buildings? YUP,,put a Crawler crane on top the building that kept going up with it. When building finished..they lowered it..........are you ready??....on the hoist brakes!!No ctwt or boom, but the complete machine. There is not enough money in the world to do that!

  26. #26stretch2008-04-15 15:01

    Could someone explain to me how that works? :beatsme

  27. #27drag1line2008-04-15 15:10

    Personally never did it, but per older that me, Bucyrus Rep who did and saw it several times. You put brand new rope on each drum, full drums and then some, on the machine, Pulled the boom off and the counterwieght (s), lowered them down the building..Not that that would make me feel better, tied the loose end of the rope to the top of the building...gulp..and walked off top, lowering the machine on the ropes via the brakes..SLOWLY. Note..It was important not to do this on any building taller than your drum capacity!! No way in H---!!

  28. #28AtlasRob2008-04-15 15:34

    ops :lmao As stated " no way in H...!!

  29. #29bordercollie2008-04-16 20:51

    yes, but in those days you could ride on the hook too, now osha would have a fit if they seen anyone doing anything like that.

  30. #30stretch2008-04-16 20:57

    Right down the side? I wouldn't feel too good looking at the sky!!!

  31. #31cat 325ccr2008-04-20 23:53

    I saw this at a mazzocchi job in Manhatten New York.

  32. #32cat 325ccr2008-04-20 23:55

    like how they lifted it up to the top.