Hello Everyone, I am new so here so be kind to my ignorance. I am not a mechanic, however my dad is and I do have some basic knowledge just not wiz at this stuff. If you ask me any questions I can not answer I will try to get you an answer. I have a backhoe, (it looks like it belongs in the scrap heap) no one knows anything about it. The guy I got it from said he thought it was a 1974, but it is not, because I bought the repair manuals and it is not a 74, I got both the agricultural and construction version of the manual. (Thank god the company refunded my money) It appears to be a Ford 5500. I researched online how to find the year, I read on the right side near the starter but there is nothing there. The machine only moves in forward, my dad is willing to help me repair this but only with the manual. So if anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. I did find GJ42C01 9E29B stamped on the front flange of the rear end, and I did find the motor castings, looks like it is a 67 motor which my dad said was useless to fix the movement issue. I am posting a pictures if you need more they are posted at http://www.purringdesigns.com/backhoe.htm . I was told the shuttle shift position will be how the year will be found. I have no idea how true that is. Thank you
it is for sure early 70's
don't give up on the old girl . look's like she's got lot's of life left in her yet pretty good looking shape. tb
Good looking hoe, stay with it. You say your not a mechanic now... you will be when you get her all fixed up, and that's not a bad thing. How do you eat an elephant? one bite at a time. That's how you go at these things. Enjoy the time you spend repairing and learning with your father and you will be REALLY happy when you are finally able to use the old girl. Sorry I cant help with the year. Scott
I agree with the above early 70's I'd say,probably a torque coveter or solenoid problem,follow my link below sign up and ask this question over there allot of knowledgeable people over there on the older iron. http://ytforums.ytmag.com/index.php
I have bo intention on giving up, I am just stuck till I can get a manual for her. Because I am a woman all the guys around here laugh at me and tell me she belongs in the scrap heap. I am determined to fix this machine.I appreciate any help, I will check out the link provided.
That hoe looks better then most around here,good luck and keep us posted! and you being a woman means nothing, a person can do many things with just a little help.
i raise my glass to you on being a woman as far as the scrap heap goes there just jealous tb
If this should be in the early 70s what year did they make that shuttle shiftin that position? Or maybe the question to ask is what years did it not make it like that? I guess if I elemenate years I will get the right one at some point. I wish I knew more about heavy equipment. I appreciate the support, nice not to be laughed at for once.
Are there any serial numbers anywhere?
Used to have a 1976 755 here and that looks to be real close to that vintage.
Here's a link for reading..also did you place this question at the forum i suggested? try a google search too.lots of stuff can be found there. i checked ebay nothing there right now.
Hello, new to this forum, and am looking to identify a Ford myself(being new I am not permitted to start a new topic). I know that it has a 3cyl engine and the hoe attachment is not Ford. I plan on using this around the property and for snow removal. I currently have a 1973 Case W7E wheel loader for the snow removal and it would be a strait trade, any opinions on the deal.
PS How does one post images to teh forum without having to have readers clic on a link? I used the html
Daman- I tried to post there, when I tried to register it kept telling me I have the incorrect code, I am not blind the code was clear I tried 3 times thought I would wait till tonight to try again, but i have every intention of posting there as well as long as I can register. Chroniekon-The only numbers I have found is on the front flange of the rear end, and castings on the motor it's self. I have looked and looked I was told it should be on the right side of the tractor near the starter, Am I looking in the correct spot? I have looked all over it with out any sucess. I am more than willing to look somewhere that someone can point me to. 51kw- is the shuttle shift position/placement the same? Thanks for all the help
I did a google search for the location and this is what I found: "The PIN Plate/Decal location for the Ford Industrial Tractor 5500 is located on the engine rocker and valve cover. The Stamped serial numbers are located on the right hand side of the transmission on top of the upper implement mounting boss."
I had one back in the day, mine looked identical to yours only with a cab, Mine was a 1970 ford 5550.shuttle shift was in same place as yours, Strong old machines but heavy and slow.
Chroniekon- Where did you find that information, really no matter but I am impressed, I only found what I had mentioned earlier, I will look tomorrow, It is sitting by my dad garage, not here so I can not run outside and look. I am so excited. I will post what i find tomorrow evening. Mapleleaftrucks- Thank you for a year, I find nothing I will just order a 70's repair manual. No doubt this machine is very heavy, I do not know how slow it is because it will not move forward. I can't believe it I might final be making some headway here. You guys are great!
you got us all "DIGGING" for info lol ...good looking backhoe...... the 4 levels work good for moving more than one cylinder at a time............when i look for year/model for my 555a ford is comes up 1983/1985......so year built shouldn't matter as long as it same model to model on parts... GL
Hi eveyone, I wanted to drop you all a note to let you know I was unable to get to my dad's today I will there tomorrow I completely forgot the ferrier was coming today showed up at 8 am left at 4 pm, I am beat. To top it off a couple of my hiefers decided to take a stroll. I actually feed my crew fell asleep and just woke and it is pouring outside. It was a very long day to say the least. Please accept my apology this is very important to me. Jimg984- I apprciate the digging- I dug for weeks, you all found more in days than I did in weeks, that is what prompted me for me help.
Okay I went there today, it was getting to dark to quick I am going to return tomorrow with my own working flashlight. but this what I found for numbers. C5NN713 C5NN E891-D 67 6711 7006 6 8m28 Does this mean anything to anyone? my dad was sleeping so I could not ask him anything.
From those numbers I would guess it is a 1967. I believe the 5500 was only made from 66-69. Check the swing post that the back boom pins on to, if it is like the 555 series it should have the last 2 digits of the year stamped on it. My grandpa bought one new back in 66 or 67, with a cab. You could not see the first 500 feet around the machine with that cab on it. It did all right on hard surfaces, but my memory of it was that it was stuck all the time. My uncle always said that it did not have enough power to get out of it's own way.
I looked it over again today and found nothing more for numbers how ever I will go back and do as ROR76a suggests, Do the Ag and industrial version have the same tranny's?
How To Determine Year of Ford 5500 My response is late but I've been working on my 5500 for months now. I have a 5500 that I have been restoring and working with on my property. There is a boss on the right side of the transmission housing, just above/behind the starter that has the serial number of your machine. The number is stamped on the top surface of the boss and is probably covered with years of filth. Use carb or brake cleaner and scrub. There are several sets of numbers, mine reads C200XXX (Xed out for privacy) then 8D10B the 8D10B translates to 1968 (8), April (D), 10 (tenth), B (day shift). The year really doesn't matter much since the 5500's are pretty much the same. Ford 5500 TLB is built on a Ford 5000 AG Tractor. In fact mine is still the original Ford AG blue engine to rear axle, Yellow outside of course. The shuttle shift is enclosed in the front of the transmission housing. If you need a copy of that section of the repair manual I will gladly send it to you.
1985 model
I would also suggest googling Ford 5500 backhoe photos and see what comes up. You might be able to confirm the year range, at least when your close you can look up the manual. Also check out ebay for manuals on cd... Agreed, also check out ytmag.com and look under the Ford forums....they know this vintage iron well. Here's another site also..this looks like yours. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/construction-equipment/239271-now-i-went-done-got-1.html
[/FONT I think Biged has your best answer, Horse woman! :O) Good luck to you.. ]