Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580SE Brake Question

rbmiles1 ยท 2011-12-13 17:25

I just purchased a 580SE (first backhoe) which is generally pretty solid but does have several leaks that need fixing including one of the breaklines. According to the service manual I have one of the later models, which has hoses connecting the top of the master cylinders to the hydraulic system. My question is, do I need to fill the master cylinders with fluid or will they just fill from the hydraulic system? What are those hoses for? I appreciate any help you can provide?

Replies2
  1. #1alrman2011-12-13 20:42

    Welcome to HEF rbmiles1 ! Which brake lines is leaking? Pressure line from master cyl to slave? Or are the rubber hoses clampimg to the master cyl. lids leaking? You can fill the cyls & bleed as per normal proceedure - the hydraulics just keep it topped up - ( & leaking if seals & hoses are old & hard!)

  2. #2rbmiles12011-12-13 22:32

    Thanks for the response alram, it's the metal line thats leaking just before it connects to the rear brake. So theoreticlly, once I get that fixed I should be able to just blead the lines and the hydraulics should fill the master cyl. for me? Is that correct?