Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Anyone Have Any Pictures of the Wabco 3200 truck?

Dayton3 ยท 2009-03-25 19:57

Aside from three pictures in Eric Orlemann's "Super Duty Earthmovers" book and one in the "Earthmover Encyclopedia", I don't recall seeing any pictures of this relatively early large dump truck. The truck with dual tandems on the rear apparently had some serious problems with understeering when loaded. But 48 units were built and the last models could lug up to 260 tons which makes it worth remembering.

Replies16
  1. #1Dug Overburden2009-03-29 02:38

    Wabco 3200/3200B Hi Dayton, ask & shall recieve. I found a few pictures, hope this satisfy's your craving. (credit for these photo's goes to Hanks truck pictures)

  2. #2stock2009-03-29 06:35

    similar to this one

  3. #3catc152009-03-31 02:41

    similar but that one is much bigger than the 3200. just look at the comparison of the trucks to the guys in the pictures. big difference, yet same princible, haul as much as you can as fast as you can. kinda like how it is today.

  4. #4catc152009-03-31 02:43

    plus they are two different manufacturing brands. one is a wabco and the other much larger is the terex.

  5. #5rotorhead862009-04-07 12:40

    What I think is interesting about the WABCO is that it makes almost 2500hp. at 900 rpms. The big CAT's Komatsu's, and Liebherr's all make make close that same power, but all spin up to 2 grand. Plus the 797 has 12 extra pistons sucking fuel (granted it does make more power).

  6. #6catc152009-04-07 13:08

    2500hp at 900rpm's wow that things a power house

  7. #7Dayton32009-04-08 07:37

    Locomotive engine

  8. #8rotorhead862009-04-08 09:10

    That is still amazing no matter what kind of engine it is. At our load out I sit and watch the loaded trains leaving and they pull 12,000 tons of coal like it is nothing. That would also make sense as to why they never seem to rev up under power, they just smoke more and make more noise.

  9. #9NL1CAT2009-04-08 09:58

    And they're 2 stroke ..

  10. #10GearWheel2014-04-11 16:36

    Terex only built one Titan haul truck. A show piece for a mine expo. before it went to Sparwood. I have heard from people that did work on that truck. That to keep that Titan working was nothing but trouble, it was junk. That's why it looks so good in it's retirement. low hours and few dents!! The 11 WABCO 3200B's at Lornex Mining had a hard life with "Deep Pit Mining" until retirement in 1991. I think the year was. Numbers ran from 40 to 50. The picture of 42 is a Lornex truck

  11. #11alco2014-04-12 00:46

    Yes, there was only one Terex Titan, but it certainly wasn't built as a show truck for MinExpo. The truck was a prototype, and as such, suffered from many of the issues that prototype trucks do. It spent a good number of years in California before it ever went to Sparwood, and worked a good number of years after the trip. The biggest issue with maintaining the truck, was that, being a prototype, it didn't have the parts support that production trucks do. The truck was far from being junk, and certainly didn't have low hours when it was retired by any means. The reason it looks like it does, with so few dents, is due to the time and effort put into it's restoration by the many dedicated folks who worked on it.

  12. #12Scrub Puller2014-04-12 03:50

    Yair . . . I have often wondered how those tandem dumps steered loaded, on a pull . . . I have had a few hair raising moments in a "B" Model when she locked in wouldn't rein near or off. Cheers.

  13. #13KBS2014-04-12 21:31

    Wow, pretty amazing piece of equipment. It's unbelievable what companies are capable of manufacturing.

  14. #14LuNaTIcFrEAk2014-04-15 17:06

    There is a Wabco in Logan Lake BC. Google Images Link Also one In Britannia Beach, BC Google Image Link

  15. #15Dayton32014-04-15 20:55

    I've gotten most of the images linked to here in the FIVE years since I started this thread. I've noticed the Russians have finally broken a barrier with their 500 ton plus truck. Still wondering where the rumored 540 ton Cat was going to make an appearance?

  16. #16alco2014-04-16 09:49

    I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a 540 ton Cat. I have no doubt that there will be a larger truck than a 797 at some point. I just don't think we're there yet.