:Banghead I do a lot of forestry roads where the truck just will not go through the mud forward and you have to back in and spread the rocks to make your roadway in. I'm not very good at spreading them backwards but can get the job done when needed. Anyone got any tips, advice? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn1bdtmdMOM
Well, never done it myself, but I've watched the goods ones do it. First of all, looks like you got air gate latches, which is good. Most important, you have to learn where your gate chains need to be set, only time and experience will teach you that, finer gravel requires less gate opening than heavy stone. And you have to learn how far to raise the bed to make the gravel shift rearward yet not spill over the gate. Then, with bed raised, put it in reverse and start backing up, maintain a constant speed, no start/stops. When you get to the spot you want to spread, pop the gate open. Again, maintain constant/unchanging speed. As gravel flows out, keep lifting your bed to keep it shifting to the gate, until it's raised and your box is empty. Constant speed and proper gate opening is the key. BTW, that vid looked like you were on a slope, better be careful doing that or that bed will be on it's side. You prolly already knew that, just thought it prudent to mention.
Looks like you did about the best you could, don't know a better way. Are you from around Darlington?
This guy's pretty good... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCUZVVXLYdA
The guy spotting you sure looked more like he was out lopin his mule than helping you, that could just be the video though. I know if I was on a job site and not helpin a guy spread gravel, especially in reverse, I'd be gettin my ass eaten out.
Be sure that your tailgate will open with weight against it,many air gates will not.When you raise your dump body the product will shift against the tailgate and often the extra weight against the dogs is too much for the air diaphram to overcome and now you have much bigger problems.Once the tailgate is locked tight it can be a major hassle to get it tripped sometimes requiring another machine to push on it to relieve the pressure. I would not be backing a loaded truck with the body raised on unstable ground.The proper way to accomplish your task is to get a machine on your job to knock the piles down so that you can back over them.Ron G
Society Hill
I think I can spread fairly decent forward here is a video spreading pretty big stone uphill http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NRQ2r4Fn54
the slope is why I was going so slow with my bed so low. When I started backing down the hill I knew my angles would change and it would be just like the bed was up a lot higher. I would have just dumped them and pushed them in with the backhoe but that takes so much more stone than spreading with the truck. Pretty steep and sandy bank, the truck wouldn't even go up it unless I got a running start
I've done alot of backward tailgating gravel but it's not my favorite thing to do. I used to do forestry roads but they always had dozer there to spread out rock. The only way I do it is ground is fairly level and not to steep. I have an International tri axle and when I spread backwards I always have my power divider locked in just in case. my reverse is not very fast but I set my chains so I won't have my bed up for long. I think forestry company could spring for a little more rock so you could use your hoe to spread,but I know how they think too. My thinking is rock will be cheaper than turned over truck. Good luck.