Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

DT 466 190HP Good or Bad

divedigger ยท 2011-02-18 19:15

Looking at a truck with DT 190hp engine and a 7 spd Good or Bad

Replies9
  1. #1bpogue2011-02-18 19:56

    That depends on what truck it is in and what you want to do with it. I assume it is mechanical, but could be electronic. The engines themselves are well built and last forever. Power is not that much for most work. Tell us more about the truck and what are your expectations.

  2. #2hvy 1ton2011-02-18 19:59

    Depends, what is the truck gonna be doing? Buddy of mine has a 4900 single axle dump with 466, i think it is 190hp. I know he has a 7 speed. It will get around just fine, but it will struggle on a 10% grade. Yes, there are hills in Kansas. It has the most trouble pulling his 650H around. -looks like bpouge beat me to it.

  3. #3Randy882011-02-20 22:04

    The engine isn't bad but the transmission is I'm guessing a spicer 7 speed that's syncro'd and if so that's a complete pile of useless metal to say the least, they don't last, the parts are high price and the transmission isn't very heavy duty at all, I own two now and thats three too many, one has 6th gear knocked out and the other doesn't shift right, never did and isn't getting any better with time. I've known a few guys who had them and are on their 5 or 6 th replacement in one truck and they aren't cheap to start with, one local coop did 9 in one truck before giving up and replacing it with a fuller eaton 10 speed.

  4. #4CM19952011-02-21 00:45

    I had an '03 4300 466 @210 with a 7sp that was OK. It only pulled a skid or mini around and most of the time I was wanting more. 1st gear was hardly ever used because it was so low, really only used 6 of the gears. I didn't keep it long enough to go into maintenance issues, I traded it for a tandem.. BTW - a 466 @190 with a 5sp will get you nowhere fast...:Banghead

  5. #5Asphalt/Dirtman2011-02-21 07:06

    Had a 466 @210 with a 5+2 in single axle with a dual drop axle. So it was a tandem. Hauled 15 tons everyday. And you guys complain about moving slow!!!!!!!!!!

  6. #6Komatsu 1502011-02-23 07:59

    You know the last story teller always wins! For many years we had an International tandem dump that regularly hauled 13 tons every load and it had that wonderful IH V8 diesel at 185 horsepower. The "wonderful" part was sarcasm, what a piece of junk, had 6 or 7 of those engines in just two trucks. The 466 which replaced that engine is very good.

  7. #7Asphalt/Dirtman2011-02-23 08:27

    aw shucks, i thought i won :notworthy it was a dang good truck, just had to use every gear and watch that temp gauge. Seen 17 or 18 tons on it. Pulled pretty much the same. Slow and Constant. Heck of a truck though. Drove great.

  8. #8divedigger2011-02-28 10:26

    Thanks for the replys! It is a 97 yr 190 hp with a 6 plus 1 with 5.63 rear

  9. #9nickbowers2011-02-28 22:04

    cant beleive how much you haul with such little power, it would take you 10min to get to 100kms. We have 230hp in 5 ton(10400kg GVM) trucks over here