I heard on the radio today that there is widespread destruction in Haiti, along with maybe 200,000+ dead. Someone- their president or leader or chief witch doctor or whoever- was calling for heavy equipment to help clean up the disaster. I was wondering how such a thing would work- if it's a volunteer project or if paid contractors go in? I've heard that Haiti is a nasty place to work.
:beatsme Heard there are 9mllion people on an island the size of Maryland! Crowded:drinkup Bob aka ZZ
Seeing as Haiti is one of the poorest countries in the world, I am pretty sure that it would be volunteer. I would be really worried about equipment theft in Haiti, if someone can make $20 off taking your equipment they will. I believe average yearly wage is around 200-300 dollars. Haiti was already in a huge crisis before this earthquake even happned, they were still getting over the last hurricane that flooded them out.
I just heard on the radio that FEMA has already pledged money toward the disaster.I'm sure there will be some of contractors going to Haiti to help in the cleanup and rebuild effort.I have a good friend who went to Haiti to work as a missionary.His church set him to repair & build homes.He tolled me Haiti was bad when things were going good,poor sanitation,live electric power lines laying on the ground,hard to get tools & supplys.One can only imagine what its like now after the earthquake.I'l be praying for them.
i will go.
bet its going to be as corrupt as the cleanup after katraina was......
Funny how fast FEMA is getting there.Over here they like to wait till help is needed.Like a long time. Did you know the trailer that was in storage and because Katrina victims were crying about the formaldehyde they would not send them to Ike victims.But I have seen Dealers selling them.They were bought at auction cheap but were selling for $6,000.Why are they safe for the public now and not then.
I watched the news last night and it said that there was no looting going on.Maybe it is too early for it or there might not be anything to take or a place to put it. I chose to conclude that they are good people and would not do that to their fellow man.They are all in this together.Ron G
Yes the poor are good people but like us they have a Government that likes to live high on the hog. Lots of these poor country's you see on TV asking for money has a very rich Government.The news said Obama wasn't going.Why not those people need a change.I think we need to stop worrying about other country's and get this one on track.
I read on a website, that a contractor in LA was getting a team of heavy equipment operators. I am laid off, if they needed me, I believe I would go. However, if any one goes, go to the local health dept and check up on the current shots that you need.
An earthquake is a very startling experience. We experienced a 6.2 earthquake back in May 2008. Fortunately there was minimal damage and no loss of life. I don't think it can be compared to the damage that's caused by flooding (as happened during and after Katrina). It scares the **** out of everyone during and for weeks if not months afterwards. It brings people together, having shared the same shocking experience (one thing we all tend to take for granted is that the sky is up, the ground is down and it's supposed to stay put), not to mention that almost everyone with capable hands is trying to help out in some way.
Me too, lets go Q as long as we get beer at the end of the shift!
Italy has a quake and the US helps by sending 50,000. Haiti gets 100,000,000 and every other source of emergency aid. Just to bad the Haitians murdered every French person, man , women and child to gain there Independence, maybe then they would have had a system in place to handle there own affairs.
yeah, i am with bill. i do not wish to seem ignorant to the worlds problems and tragedies but let's be honest. we need to deal with our issues and socio economic crises here in the usa. the feds could empty out the prisons and people on welfare and send them down there. we are on the brink of collapse and are not dealing with it. i am here writing this at 12.54pm because i am not at work. because there is no work.
I'm looking to go to Haiti for work. I know soon they're going to need workers to rebuild. Im available and able to leave ASAP. My Email: [email protected] . Any response from contractors looking to employ people for Haiti would be much appreciated
haiti I have been in the Katrina aftermath and have been talking to some operators,,, looking for some contractors who are going,, know of any ?
Its worth pointing out that any operators sent there who either volunteer or are getting paid will most likely be sleeping in a camp like situation set up by Red Cross or the military, living conditions will be harsh, theres no Mc Donalds or Hooters to attend. Cold beer would be a Luxury, even to get ice would be an accomplishment. It most certainly wouldn't be a picnic as some think, nice warm weather sure but the trade offs are HUGE. To those who fail to understand the reason Hati is so poor, not only is their government twice as corrupt as any American government, they have little to steal in the first place because Hati really has very few raw materials for export. Couple that with little to no manufactuering sector and you have tourism left...and then they are at the bottom of the barrel there because people are quite simply scared of that island. The international efforts will do fine, Mexico is pitching in, England is pitching in, China, alot of heavyweight rich countries will do what they can. America is pledging support and we see the dollar sign, often that isn't what they get, nobody hands them a cheque and says "here, this is for you" they get supplies like food, concrete, medical equipment, electrical grid support, and so on. That huge number we see in the media is by no means cash. I'd go ifn I had a passport
I hold a current passport,, and I agree, conditions would be terrible
That story changed today. Heard that it generally takes 48-72 hours for the looting to begin. The first 24 are pure shock. Then 24-48 its those bad folks realizing that there is no law to stop them. After 48 hours, they realize they are the law.
Not too many years ago one of the companies I worked for sent a crane to Haiti. One of our mechanics went down there with a factory guy who told him not to take his bags out of checkout at the airport. They rented a car and drove to the docks where the crane was supposed to be and the only thing left was the house and carbody. The factory guy turned them around and promptly left. They got back on the plane and came home. The factory guy explained that all the parts were carted off and hidden in hopes of ransoming it back to the owners. He said it would take months before that got enough parts back to put the machine together. After hearing that story I had even less inclination to go to Haiti for any reason. Just ask yourself how much of that food, shelter and electricity will reach the poor people that really need it. I do feel really bad for them and all but wonder just what can be done to really make life bearable in a way that will last.
I have heard stories about the U.S. sending farming equipment and seed to these poor countrys.They would eat the seed and leave equip.to rust down.
It's pretty bad in Haiti.Here is a link to an e-mail sent from a group of missionaries working in Haiti from the Capital City Christian church in Frankfort Kentucky. www.capitalcitychristian.org/Clinton.htm
Dont worry boys George Bush and Bill Clinton Will take care of it all
Coupled with the fact that the prison fell down and all the prisoners that survived walked away.Ron G
Reminder - HEF is NOT the place to discuss, comment on or complain about politics - including governments, or government policies or programs either foreign or domestic that are not DIRECTLY RELATED to the business or operation of equipment. Lets stay on topic please.
I ain't going no matter what! Those that want to go to Haiti to help should be commended. Those that think they'll make a buck should think again. The living conditions will be a lot like fire camps. You'll be sleeping in a tent and eating whatever the red cross(or other entity) feeds you. If you take any tools with you, they'll disappear. Not to lighten their situation in any way. If your in the situation to help someone, look next door. With the Northwest unemployment in the teens and high everywhere else. There is plenty of help needed locally.
Your right on all accounts.:usa.My thoughts too.:drinkup
Nate & 2Stick, I did a bit of aid work myself, in Africa, and I got some of the same garbage before I went out, "there's plenty here needs help", but the people who were telling me who I should be helping weren't prepared to do anything themselves. Too busy deciding where their next holiday was going to be.
Me too.Hurricane Rita.
Here is a link I found on craigslist...they mentioned a need for HEO's. but the website hasn't got an area for an application even though it looks legit.... www.imacservices.com
I dont how legit they are. Seems like they provide "labor dispute services." Which in my book seems to be anti worker, and pro company. Might want to think about that before heading to different country with them. Do they really care about you, or are you just a tool for them to use and throw away?
it seems that company provides strike breakers. scabs. no thanks, i'll starve with dignity.
Thats what I found too.You would need Hazerdous Working Pay
The application on that website is totally rediculous.....no one in they're right mind would post all the info they ask for.....after a closer look at them I'll most certainly pass. A search of them at google yielded no info atall.
Me too!
The immediate need In Hatie. Is to go down and dig out the rubble and plant the dead.The roads must be made passable,and temp. water and electric services, have to be installed. The military is well equiped to perform all these tasks. 3or4 mounths from now if the country is made safe, then it might be a good place to go down and opperate equipment, or help reconnsruct, the cities. There are millions of dollars going down there but nothing to spend it on. The situation is still save a life mode, and in a few more days will change to cleanup mode. Then think about it, how do you rebuild something that wasn't there to begin with. what we realy need is a large shipment of equipment, many instructors to go down and teach their people how to run and maintain the equipment. And again the military can do that also. I'm sure you will see several requests to buy equipment soon, for export to that country. . Right now, medical srech and save is the most important phase.
I wouldnt be able to afford to go down there and help. I am still waiting on money owed from Katrina. I learned my lesson on helping people out.
I think the US would be much better of if they would mind their own business and work on their own problems before others. Anyone think haiti or other countries would help the US if we had crisis like that?
You mean they employ people to break up strikes? I saw the "executive protection" BS, but I didn't see the other. I didn't have the patience to read that whole website.
tyler, Do you mean like this long list of counties that offered help after Hurricane Katrina? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_response_to_Hurricane_Katrina
Must have missed that, why doesnt the press put details like that out there?
Real question, how much of this money actually made it?
I for one am willing to go, so if anyone hears of anything I'm def. interested.
Dont Know if hurricane katrina is a good comparision to the earth quake in Haiti?The country off Haiti had alot of trouble to start with ,then the earth quake hit.Hope we never have a situation like Haiti in the U.S.If that ever happens I'd say at least 1/3 of the countrys listed on the wiki page offering help would turn against the US & maybe attack at that time.
Good question.Everybody was asking US citizens for donations etc.So I wonder where all this help went?Like everything else in some politic ans bank account.
Your not alone.I read where lots of company's never got paid.Some were O/O
The new world order has again found a sneaky way to off a lot of poor people.
wow, you probably want to confine conspiracy theories to the off topic section. that way the moderators know where to look for them.
South Africa has just dispatched, according to the news "a crew of doctors and engineers, with 2.5 million Rands worth of equipment, to Haiti". R2.5 million will probably get you about 5 backhoe loaders. What do you think the 'equipment' is?
Being helped on an international level, language barriers have to be making logistics there very difficult. How would one find who's in control once there?
Just ask any Government Official he or she will tell you.
After all, they are from the government, and they are here to help :beatsme
work in haiti ? are you kidding ive seen how we fix things look at new orleans and gavlenston ill take my chances in this economy
After being involved in the recovery efforts and then the demolition and clean up on the Cypress structure (double decker bridge) that colapsed during the loma Prieta earthquake in Oakland Calif in 1989. I cant even begin to amagine the magnatude of what they are having to deal with. My thoughts and prayers go out to all involed.
" Helping people out" The whole idea about helping people out is doing it out of the goodness of your heart.. That's like your house burning down and your next door neighbour helping you get your family out and helps you salvage as much stuff as he can and then giving you a bill the next day for $ 7000.00 including Hazardous work Pay... If you don't have COMPASSION don't go.. Compassion is what they need there right now.. People that are willing to sacrifice their time to help a country out that is completely destroyed. Hopefully Haiti will be released from their Governments control now that they are being forced to let other countries in. Not saying the Quake was a good thing but hopefully some can come out of it.. Point being if your going to help and you do get paid consider that a bonus!!!
I didn't write this to offend anyone... Just something to think about..I am considering going I just don't know when the best time is?? Now when there is lots of help or in a few months when it is being forgotten...
Yeah cause y'all know you can trust them with your money???
Let's try not to get any more political than the above, please. On the topic, you couldn't print enough money to pay me to go there to work, even on the best day the country ever had, but if I were independently wealthy, and could thus afford to take the time, I'd consider going there as a volunteer. (Luckily, I don't have that option...)
I've heard the same. A storm cleanup contractor from our town supposedly is owed +2mil dollars from Katrina. They paid their employees, bought the fuel, fixed the equipment and are still waiting on payment. 3+ years later. i doubt the IRS would tolerate me paying my dues when i feel like it. Moral of the story is if you are heading to Haiti to work contracts for uncle sam, i'd get in writing with interest the pay schedule.