Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tag trailer deck replacement?

Speedpup ยท 2010-01-16 17:25

I have a Reids 12T tag trailer that needs redecked for the second time. I have had it since 1980 Any new materials out there? I used oak before and was thinking of Apitong Floor. Is it worth it and what is the cost? I need 6' and 8" boards and I think they were 2" thick. thanks!

Replies4
  1. #1trucker12010-01-16 19:40

    The last I knew, apitong was more than $5 a board foot, excellent wood, last a long time, but I buy roughsawn oak from a local sawyer for anywhere from $1 to 1.25 a board foot. I can redeck a trailer 3 or 4 times for what it costs to do it once with apitong. George

  2. #2joispoi2010-01-17 13:16

    If you're looking at the same grade flooring they use in shipping containers and box trailers, that stuff is smooth and slippery in a dangerous way when it's dry, forget about if it's wet. I'd go with rough sawn oak if the price is right. What do you treat your deck boards with? I know some guys mix waste oil with diesel.

  3. #3Pecord Exc2010-01-17 13:21

    We have used rough sawn red oak 2" thick with self tapping screws into the steel from mcmaster carr. total cost runs us less than $500 and about a days labor. the oak lasts us about 10 years.

  4. #4Speedpup2010-01-17 13:43

    Thanks guys guess I'll do oak again. Ten years the trailer will be 40 years old but not much has changed in them in 30 years except anti-lock I guess. Never put any sealer on it.