Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Anyone here familiar with older Ag tractors? Case, IH, Deere, etc?

viper ยท 2013-03-13 15:00

I am in need of a 100-130HP Ag tractor. Can't afford much right now. Have been looking at Case, IH, and Deere. Green paint seems expensive and probably out of the budget unless they are really worth it. Just looked at a Case 1170 and a bit rough but got a new engine 10yrs ago due to sleeve seals failing. That makes me nervous. Also looked at an IH 1086 but owner recently has the entire trans and rear end reworked after dropping a tooth in the trans while mowing. I am baffled on that and I cannot afford an expense like that right now. I need a bullet proof tractor. I would prefer powershift but if it comes with major repair concerns, probably not. I know CAT had the powershift firgured out early and seems to work well. Deere also seems to know how to get it done.

Replies5
  1. #1Shenandoah2013-03-13 17:05

    It may help if you can shed a little light on the type of work you want the tractor to do. Will you be doing mostly drawbar work or is your HP requirements tied to your PTO? For instance, our JD 4030 is rated 67 hp on the drawbar and 80hp on the PTO. Also, tractors seem to be 'regional' in the sense that some of the tractors used in the midwest aren't very prominent on the east coast, as an example. So you may be able, if you can afford it, to look outside your region for a tractor. The tractors that come up for sale where we are (my part of VA) are somewhat different than where you may be. I've never seen a Cat Challenger around these parts, for instance.

  2. #2viper2013-03-13 17:31

    We are going to have to use one tractor for the whole farm right now. Hay farming so that would be hay mower/conditioner, rake, baler, and disc plow. The power requirement is coming from the disc plow, drawbar of course. I will use the 3pt, pto, front loader, and drawbar. I have learned a few things on IH like the fact that the 986-1486 are the same tractor with possible just different tuning. The 986 did not have a turbo. That means I might be able to get a little more from a 1086 if needed. The 1070 I looked at sounds solid but I would really like powershift. That might not be a reality right now and just have to rough it until I can upgrade.

  3. #3Tinkerer2013-03-13 20:26

    I have run both of those tractors. A 1486 will run rings around a 986. That would be under a heavy pull like with a chisel plow. The added weight of the 1486 makes a substantial difference in the ride and performance. A John Deere the same size as a 1486 rides like a Cadillac and the 1486 would be like riding on a steel wheeled wagon. I have run a 1086 but I didn't run it nearly as much as the other two.

  4. #4viper2013-03-13 23:13

    Any seat time in a 1170 or the likes by chance? I am really trying to size up the differences in the IH and Case products of that vintage. Personally I find the Case a little less refined in aesthetics and ergonomics but no idea on mechanics just yet.

  5. #5roddyo2013-03-14 00:30

    The internationals are going to be pretty thirsty......but I like em The 66's will ride a lot better than an 86 series. Personally I would look at an older tractor just on that account. You should look at a 5088. That's a really good tractor. The cases are pretty crude but some people liked them.....I never was a fan IMO a 1105/1135 Massey is what I would be looking for. An 1100/1130 can be found for around $3,500.00 if you don't mind the age.