I bought a 1968 Ck and it wouldn't run much pass idle so I removed the pump and went through it and now I'm trying to time the engine. I bought an online manual and the manual shows the timing rod on the right side in the pic and mine is on the left and I couldn't find the TDC mark but I found the 10 degree mark. I timed the engine at 8 degrees but the pump won't line up with the shaft unless I turn the pump rotor. Is this normal or has someone messed with the timing gear and it's off?
I'm not sure if I can help, but i hope the engine wasn't "turned' with the pump off. I know your in trouble if you do this on a truck.
It won't make a difference on this machine trying to time it. I timed it like the book says and I'm about to see if it'll run.
I didn't have time to get it cranked after dealing with bleeding it and having leaking injectors. It seems the last wrench didn't have a clue of how to put things back together and everytime I take something apart I find another problem. The good thing is I have good oil presure and I finally got fuel to the injectors just as the battery died. I had it charging all night and today I'm gonna see if it cranks and/or runs but I suspect the timing gear to be off by at least 1 tooth.
I got it started today and had to advance the pump timing and she purrs and accelerates very good. My next step is to get the adjustments set for the throttle and foot pedal. It's so far out of adjustment that it barely moves when used.