I am not really new to working on lifts, but can't say I have been in one of these. I spotted an inop electric 5K Hyster. I think it was parked for some reason. Another guy bought it, realized quick he was in over his head, and now I am in it. The guy said he stuck some cheap batteries on it for test and though it would try to drive, one drive wheel is pretty much locked up. I am hoping a stuck brake drum is all we are looking at here? How hard are these to break free? Also, he mentioned he could not get the lift functions to work. So the very first thing I tested on was the lift pump motor. Just dropped my meter on the two leads and I have dead spots in the rotation as I spin the motor. I guess I am hoping for a simple solution as pulling that motor will NOT be fun! Likely not even possible without getting under it. Machine appears to have sat for quite a while, and outside. Motors could look better. I don't see any obvious armature damage, brushes appear intact. I was trying to isolate when the dead spots occur. Probably about every 90* which might be about for a bad bar and a 4 brush motor. I really want to just spin the motor to an area where it is conducting and hit it with power to see if it will zing to life. Could just need a little running but I am also wondering if this is why it was parked too.
No replies yet.