Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Anyone know anything about Allis Chalmers WD45?

Burns-Tractor ยท 2011-06-03 18:30

I have a Allis WD45 (gas), with front loader. I was using it to move some dirt outback, I parked it for about 10 minutes and when I went to start it again, it would fire and run really rough for a few seconds and then die. I put in new points and condenser in the magneto, I put in a new carburetor kit and I have lots of spark and I have gas getting to the engine and it still will not start. The engine never smoked a day in it's life, the valves all seem to be opening and closing as they should, there is no coolant in the oil. I am absolutely sure it is flooding, when I try to start it, it fires a few times and then it dumps lots of gas out the air intake on the carb. I put the float in some hot water and I didn't see any air bubbles? the needle has the rubber tip, so I tapped it in the needle seat so it would get a good seal, after I did that the tractor ran for ever 20 seconds (longest it has ran in a long time) then it flooded out again? I cant figure out why it is flooding? I have tried everything and have still found nothing.:Banghead Thanks for any info

Replies4
  1. #1Billie2011-06-03 20:13

    Hi, Im no pro on your engine, but I would cut the gas off so that the carb isnt supplying any fuel, and try and run it with a spray can of gas or something of the like, even carb cleaner maybe. You could eliminate your carb as a problem (or prove that it is the problem) that way. How about your coil? I know you said you have lots of spark but could it be weak or breaking down?

  2. #2chroniekon2011-06-04 15:34

    I would try adjusting the float to obtain a lower fuel level. I'm not familiar with that carb in particular, but generaly there is a tang on the hinged end of the float or the part that contacts the needle that allows ajustment of the float level. It's also possible you have a piece of dirt or something caught in the seat. It seems likely from what you've described that your problem is in the needle/seat/float area.

  3. #3Iron@Dirt2011-06-04 20:34

    If it is flooding you would see black smoke?? Do you hear the magneto impulse? Is the choke linkage still hooked up??

  4. #4Komatsu 1502011-06-05 08:54

    Take the bowl off with the tank petcock off. Hold the float up gently with a finger and turn the petcock back on. If it leaks the needle and seat are bad or dirty. If it seals bad float or something binding. Being new parts doesn't mean too much sometimes. A lot or all the kits out there are aftermarket now and some of that stuff isn't very good. I don't know what carburetor you have but this is doable on our WC and I imagine the same on the WD.