Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Anyone need a 50yd bucket?

JBrady ยท 2025-07-30 15:26

For sale in SE Oklahoma: https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...place_top_picks&referral_story_type=top_picks

Replies21
  1. #1BC Placer gold2025-07-30 16:22

    Sure! Is delivery & onsite setup included in price lol!

  2. #2mowingman2025-07-30 17:47

    I have seen that machine. I think it has been there since the mid 90's.

  3. #3.RC.2025-07-30 19:34

    Does it run off a 110V outlet?

  4. #4Welder Dave2025-07-30 19:45

    There was a bigger dragline for sale on Iron Planet. I think it was a BE 2570W with a 100yd. bucket. One of the most common draglines sold.

  5. #5CM19952025-07-30 20:59

    I wanted to go see Mr Tom at the time but was too busy working. 78 CY bucket. Drummond Co. brings a monster machine back to life as Alabama's mining industry looks to be reborn When metalurgical coal prices spiked in 2011, many coal companies set in motion investments in infrastructure, but was it too much too late? An 8 million-pound dragline crane, Mr. Tom, will be in place just north of Abernant just when the market is in a hole. www.al.com

  6. #6.RC.2025-07-30 21:00

    Sorry everyone, how stupid was I thinking it would run off 110V mains. In this day and age it would have a solar panel on the roof to run it. Electric is all the rage.

  7. #7JaredV2025-07-30 21:20

    Yeah, you would think the greenies would be happy coal is mined with electric machines!

  8. #8Welder Dave2025-07-30 21:28

    I wonder if Mr. Tom was moved from a different mine and got a name change or Drummond had more than one 1570W? Here is a pic. of a 1570W that may be the same dragline but named Sequoia. It might have been made in 1974 but not sure. It's in the 1974 section of a book on BE's history. The book goes up to 1980 and doesn't mention that Drummond bought more than one dragline. Syncrude is mentioned as having bought two larger 2570W draglines in 1974. 1974 was when BE did a huge expansion due to a very large backlog of orders for large machines. They had too many orders is the reason they declined to bid on the NASA transporters despite being the company that (supposedly) originally designed them but this isn't mentioned in the book. Apparently Marion was upset they never went to tender so NASA was pretty much forced put it to tender. There is also a story Marion under bid BE and hired people from BE to help build the transporters. According to the book though BE made the wise decision not to bid on the transporters. I'd guess the truth is somewhere in the middle. BE may not have wanted to admit they got under bid.

  9. #9CM19952025-07-31 09:20

    No clue if they had 2. Mr Tom was at the strip pits between Birmingham and Tuscaloosa west of I-20. Drummond also had a walking dragline in northeast AL at some time. Not sure if it was the same one. Now the major majority of Drummonds holdings are down in Columbia.

  10. #10Nige2025-07-31 09:35

    Was that the BE 2570 that was built out by Carbon Hill in the late 1970s.?

  11. #11CM19952025-07-31 10:07

    I believe so. Was a youngster in the late '70's and my uncle sold welding rods to the mines. Rode in the truck one time on a sales run. Only saw it from a far distance and of course from inside the truck.

  12. #12DDoug2025-07-31 10:11

    My father made the armature coils for the motors in Big Muski. The whole crew that worked on that job went down to the mine. We had a pix of the 2 tour busses parked in the bucket.

  13. #13mowingman2025-07-31 11:27

    Big Muskie was built and operated just about an hour from our house. I remember, as a kid, going to see it under construction. The coal company actually built a park next to the erection pad. They had covered picnic table areas there and we would have picnics there. It was a good place to watch it work also, when it first started digging. I think the bucket, which is now on display, was about 228 Yds. or thereabouts.

  14. #14BC Placer gold2025-07-31 13:09

    Cool story, that would have been a real sight to see it in action!

  15. #15Nige2025-07-31 13:48

    i was lucky enough to see it in action in 1979. A work colleague managed to blag a trip into the Muskingham mine where it was operating. i need to trawl my photo albums for some pics.

  16. #16Tyler d4c2025-07-31 16:04

    I was at the bucket on saturday coming home from columbus

  17. #17DDoug2025-07-31 16:48

    Pix ?

  18. #18mowingman2025-07-31 17:30
  19. #19mowingman2025-07-31 17:32

    Not sure what happened. Photo of the dragline under construction only shows up when you click on it.

  20. #20Welder Dave2025-07-31 17:48

    220yd. bucket that weighed 230 tons empty and carried an additional 325 tons. The bucket lip was the biggest single pour the foundry ever did. There were actually 3 buckets for Big Muskie so there was always one ready to swap out when repairs were needed. I think I read buckets were swapped every 6 to 9 month's. The four 5" dia. drag cables had a line pull exceeding 1000 tons! The bucket that was saved I think was the most advanced as far as wear protection. I'd guess the other 2 were scrapped. The power cables were 4 3/4" dia., the largest ever made. There were two cable reels that could hold 3000' of cable and two smaller reels that held 500' of cable. They were of course the largest ever made. The size of the hoist side frames and swing rack sections in the pics. below are mind boggling! Sure don't want to make a mistake machining them.

  21. #21Tyler d4c2025-07-31 18:16