Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tragedy from taking your kids to work

terex herder · 2025-07-31 13:35

Nebraska biofuels plant explosion kills 3 people, including 2 young girls Two children and an adult man are dead after an explosion tore through a Horizon Biofuels facility in Fremont, Nebraska. www.cbsnews.com

Replies27
  1. #1aighead2025-08-01 06:38

    Eek, that sucks. My work is terribly hesitant to let kids around anything and we're not very dangerous at all.

  2. #2HarleyHappy2025-08-01 07:31

    Lots more to this story, me thinks.

  3. #3chidog2025-08-01 19:53

    When I was a very young kid, 4 to age ?? adult, I hated being treated like a dumb kid, I wanted to be around all sorts of machinery, now it seems kids with the right parents get to do all the things I wished I could have got to do, back in those days. Very aggravating.

  4. #4digger242j2025-08-01 21:35

    That really is a tragic story. But things are supposed to NOT explode, regardless of who's around. The father probably considered the risk to be minimal, which it probably was, but unfortunately, it turned out badly. My Dad was an official with the city Water Department, He took me all sorts of places, When I was 7 years old, the city built the "Clarifier" plant which was the step before the water went to the filtration plant. I got to sit in the operator's lap on one of the big cranes working there. (Not while it was doing a pick.) When I was 8, I got to go out on the river on the barge laying a 36" main across the river, as posted here: HeavyEquipmentForums (Not necessarily on any of the days those pictures were taken.) I was also in any number of pump stations, out on any number of breaks, got to see (then) new filtration plant as it was being built, and the old underground slow sand filtration system after it had been decommissioned. I could go on and on. I doubt that any of those opportunities would be available to any kid in this day and age. I feel really lucky to have had all those experiences, but maybe I'm lucky to have survived?

  5. #5JaredV2025-08-03 00:45

    Grain dust explosion?

  6. #6terex herder2025-08-03 07:28

    Wood dust. A former feed mill was repurposed to make wood pellets for smoking and heating.

  7. #7crane operator2025-08-03 07:32

    Dust explosions are no joke. I grew up building grain facilities and have had some minor woofs. The one job that worried me the most was on a old wooden elevator. I thought sure it was going to go up while we were working there.

  8. #8terex herder2025-08-03 07:49

    Old rule of thumb was if you can't identify a person by their facial features at 10' you have an explosive atmosphere.

  9. #9colson042025-08-03 08:14

    I have never heard that, but I get it. I've been in an old feed mill with the dust just wafting around everywhere. When we walked back outside, everyone was covered in a thin layer of white dust just from walking through the building. That place was decommissioned around 30 years ago as a newer plant was built.

  10. #10AzIron2025-08-03 10:15

    I grew up on the fender of a backhoe and in and out of ditches by the time I was 10 or 11 I was left alone working at the yard welding buckets and servicing equipment as well as cleaning irgation ditch with a backhoe In this instance the kids being there was a non factor cause the man was never supposed to die at work either I take my kids a lot of places I do pick and choose where to take them but on an average residential job there is no more risk to my 8 year old than there is to any other green help I have and my 8 year old listens a. He'll of a lot better than the 18 year old I find to hire The world has gotten so crazy about not exposing young people to any risk that there is no life experience for kids before they turn 18 and then there are no guardrails for them on a job

  11. #11Truck Shop2025-08-03 10:24

    Hop kilns--were known for serious dust explosions in the Yakima valley. That's where the best, highest percentage of hops for your beer are grown. Not too many grain elevator fires/explosions around here.

  12. #12cfherrman2025-08-03 11:10

    It's very true and I do agree but I will say that men are getting paid to be there and choose to be there while a child doesn't always have a choice. A child injured potentially has to live with it all their life. A long time ago someone brought their kid to a drill rig and it caught fire, he's lived with massive burn scars all his life basically and luckily it's probably mostly cosmetic.

  13. #13Shimmy12025-08-03 12:50

    +Infinity

  14. #14chidog2025-08-03 20:23

    Though I did start running a 20 lb chain saw when in the 10 to 12 year old range, starting it was a pain though. I know a few 40 some years olds that can't do that. Yup and no fancy chain brakes or chaps, anti kick back chains etc etc. in those days. How many would let kids do what some of us have done back in the 60's?

  15. #15Truck Shop2025-08-03 20:35

    Marshfield Clinic Research Institute - 2022 U.S. Childhood Agricultural Injuries Fact Sheet released marshfieldresearch.org

  16. #16cfherrman2025-08-04 09:08

    I have a hard time having my hands doing things t did when I was younger afraid they will get hurt and they are typically lower 20's

  17. #17HarleyHappy2025-08-04 10:10

    Those of us that have been bent, busted and cut are always afraid of having someone else go through the same thing, especially in front of us. It’s like we have given our bodies to the job and are afraid for someone younger to experience the same pain and bloodshed. I get cut all the time and bleed almost everyday but I absolutely despise going for a blood test. I don’t mind needles or the stick but just believe I bleed enough working, don’t need to bleed for free. I just got the **** cut out of me doing metal roofing and knew it was coming. I even used gloves this time. Every time I cut those panels with my carbide saw, I have to file or sand the edges or snow and pine needles get stuck on them.

  18. #18Tones2025-08-04 17:13

    An outfit I was working for were doing a lot of demolition work with tight schedules so it was 12-14hr days 7day weeks and had been so for months. Home and family time at zero. As with all demo's all things of value was salvaged and this particular building had some huge steel girders across it that were being saved. The process was to chain the beam at the centre and cut each end, slightly lift to clear and lower it to the ground. The crane operators wife decided to have a picnic lunch one Sunday at the job so their children could spend a little time with dad. They were so excited when they got there they bailed out of the car and ran across the site. Dad was yelling at them to go back and assuming the kid mistook to run towards the crane faster. All this was happening as he was lowering a beam then the chain slipped A week later 2 small caskets were buried.

  19. #19DDoug2025-08-04 21:11

    Use a plasma cutter....the paint burnt area is really small, and the zinc coating sort of re-melts over the cut edge....

  20. #20Tyler d4c2025-08-04 21:26

    The other side of having kids where they dont belong (speaking from experiance) is if dad never taken me anywhere qs a kid i would not be where im at today. Say if my industrial education would have started at 16 instead of 6 id be 10 years behind. And i probably would have went to be a gyno or a uber driver!

  21. #21Truck Shop2025-08-04 23:24

    Nah you wouldn't want to do that, the malpractice insurance is one of the highest if not highest in medical field.

  22. #22cfherrman2025-08-05 02:02

    How else can you have 6 years experience on a entry level job

  23. #23HarleyHappy2025-08-05 09:32

    Never even gave my pilot plasma cutter a thought, thank you!

  24. #24excavator2025-08-05 12:26

    It is unfortunate and sad when children are injured or killed but I feel that far more children have been injured and permanently scarred by keeping them away from real life things. The worst thing we can do for kids is to not allow them to have a job and experience life until they are into their mid teens.

  25. #25terex herder2025-08-05 14:15

    Its a two edged sword. You can't prove a negative, so all the kids who missed out on starting an early hands on education don't show up in statistics anywhere. Except now they show up as a lack of skilled trades professionals. But thats indirect evidence only. Me? I was damaged for life at an early age. Deetroits, Deeres, animals, trucks. Gotta be hands on, don't want to push paper.

  26. #26Truck Shop2025-08-06 10:56

    16M views · 2.1M reactions | | Eric Anthony www.facebook.com

  27. #27Tyler d4c2025-08-06 11:05

    Im loafing at work seen that about 10 minutes ago