Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Anyone on here raking?

Scrub Puller ยท 2011-12-26 14:53

Yair...I have been watching a tidy old D8 tidying up a few hundred acres of suckers just over the range. The operator is doing a good tidy job but he is working back and forth making windrows in light country. Seems a strange way of working to me. Any techniques or tips...anyone? Cheers.

Replies4
  1. #12stickbill2011-12-26 19:44

    Some here do wind rows and some do piles.The object for this I never asked. Either way your going back and forth.

  2. #2earthking2011-12-26 20:42

    Depending on contour of the ground have found it easier and quicker to do long sweeps then side to side like a herring bone, will depend on how much material as to how wide apart you make the rows.Cheers.

  3. #3pp13bnos2011-12-27 11:06

    When I clear land, and there isn't to much debris, I'll do wind rows. Push one direction, turn around and push the direction I just came from. Creating two separate rows. Once, I have a windrow thats long enough for my liking, I'll push it into a pile. All the customers Ive dealt with like the work I do. Or at least they pay, and tell me to my face they're happy with the job. There might be better ways to do it...

  4. #4Scrub Puller2011-12-28 15:23

    Yair...thanks for replys I was jut curious as to how other folks work. Over here some Govt. contracts stipulated windrows but I always worked heaps where I could. I hated the screwing round going back and forth between windrows...and some times it was a battle to get the odd big log to the windrow. With heaps you can go around and around like plowing or back and forth along a face. When the tractor starts to load up a bit you just turn the load in and leave it in the way of your next pass. you generaly can move it in a couple of times and then leave it...the heaps will tell you where they want to be. When you put a new bloke on a rake they mostly seem to think that the object of the exercise is to push all the crap and logs and sticks in the paddock into nice tidy heaps. It's not that at all...the object is to to leave neat tidy ground, two completely different outcomes. It annoyes me to see a tractor struggling to keep a windrow straight or stuffing around tucking in a heap. Some cockys are paranoid about dirt in heaps which sometimes happens if you elect to keep on working if there's been a bit of rain. In those conditions I usualy keep a rake full of nice loose stuff on the side and push that up last...what the eye doesn't see the heart won't grieve and really in most country dirt is not a problem if you run the fires hot when you're burning out the heaps. Im talking here of typical Australian country of course. Other places wil be completely different. Cheers.