Can anyone help as to the where abouts of the above machines for parts or restoration, any leads would be much appreciated.Also any Nos parts that may be lying around for 8220B and 30B Cheers. (Should be TC-12)
Some of us are lucky we "cant afford Terex", Can't afford (to Keep) Terex (running) that is, had to settle for dirty old Caterpillar's. I think most of us have a TC-12 (82-80) on our wish list, me too. No 82-80's came to N.Z. only 8 TC-12's as far as I know, 2 remaining to my knowledge and both spoken for, so stand in line. If really keen you may have to look overseas, let me know if you find some (I want one), they would have to be one of the ultimate big boy's toys (not to work, just to play with), Terex (Euclid) dont forget, can't afford to run them. Good luck, Cheers 68M.
I was aware of the two here in NZ but wasn't sure how many of the rest got cut up for scrap ,you don't know until you ask and Green is not everyones colour, I was expecting to get something from the US , Canada or Australia hence the request on this forum.Looking at one so will see what else comes up. Cheers.
If I hit the lottery (got to buy one of those tickets) I would rather go to a museum to look at one of those. After running an 8220 for a short while I am very sure I never want to hear that calf bawl ever again. There was a tc-12 about 60 miles from me for a while, but I think it finally found it's way to the scrap yard. Interesting idea, but those motors, wow.
I know about Bakers one in cambridge, but is there 2 in the south island ? One of Collis,s machines was dragged out of a lake; but did someone else; Birchfields maybe ? have another one. Wabcoman will know for sure if he comes on here. Cheers Merv
Hi Merv, only know of the two, Bakers & Ray Shearing's (Ex Collis). Feast & McJorrow's was definitly wrecked and I think Bakers may have wrecked two. Where the others are I don't know, it would be nice to think some of them still exist, but if they do, not many are letting on. Good plan, ask Wabcoman, He's probably driven them all and knows where they are. Apart from the original owners later owners included Cameron's Cartage ltd (WGTN) and Mattie Franicivich. **** Collis I believe owned 4 at on stage and Bakers I think had three, Shame to see such an icon disappear, hopefully Earthking will find one and bring it in. Do any other Kiwi's know what happened to N.Z.'s TC 12's ?
Back in 72/73 I saw the chassis of one in a yard in Whakatane that had been wrecked for parts dont know whose it was or where it is now. Cheers RDG.
Here is a picture of one that may still be in the state of Wisconsin,USA. It is posted on a discussion forum I found after a quick google search. EarthKing, if you read the last post there is a man in Perth Western,AU. He has a friend that was trying to restore one of those monsters. It is an old (July, 2010) thread but you may be able to get some information out of it. Her is a link to the website. http://forums.dhsdiecast.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=126330 If the link is against forum rules one of the moderators is welcome to delete it. Here is another link about those green monsters. .
Thanks Tinkerer Had found that machine and am working at it at present.Anything else you come accross please pass it on via pm. Cheers.
I heard a rumour through the grapevine that someone might be using a Tc12 in a Quarry in Whangarei? One of my mates said that he was talking to some fella at a vintage tractor and machinery rally who described a dozer that was a big twin engined machine. So i wonder if this has any significance?
there are 4 high profile ones in Oz , 3 in Queensland ( One was imported from the US a few years back ) and one restored in western Australia , there are stories of others , one tured out to be a 82 50 V12 cummins in good order, still chasing up other leads in New South Wales
Havn,t heard of any TC12s in whangarei; but there is a 82-50 up there Have asked a mate up there to keep a eye and ear open ! !
Earthking, 68M, D6 Merv, There are only two TC-12's left - the one that came from Ohai (Colliss') and is currently under restoration, and the other one is owned by a Richard Hannon in Hautapu, Waikato This is the one that desperately needs saving as it is stored out in the open and used as a cow scatching post. I'm told Mr.Hannon is not "user friendly" ! TC-12's that came into NZ: s/n's: TC12-2-28487 TC12-2-28488 TC12-2-28494 TC12-2-28495 TC12-2-28497 TC12-2-28504 TC12-2-28506 TC12-2-28508 TC12-2-36221 The WabcoMan ointhead
There us to be a contractor in Wyoming right off of Hwy 90 interstate on the right side of the freeway just before you entered Spearfish, South Dakota that had a fleet of Euclids TS32'2, TS24's, TC12's, and C6's I'm sure that there's a few Heavy Equipment Forum members that travel and a few that live in that part of Wyoming that could find out if that Contractor still exhists. There's three C6's here in the Lewiston Idaho area that I see all the time. Mike Nebergall
Ill be around Spearfish next month, Ill look
I have a documentary on the construction of the F3 Sydney/Newcastle freeway which shows a NSW based machine with no cab and what looks to be an ATECO style ripper with the centre tyne on an extended (rearwood) pocket that swivelled slightly by the looks of it, ripping ther hawkesbury sandstone with some D9G,s but no names on the machine. Would have to have been one of the big contractors back in the day but i don,t think Abignano had any, maybe Herbie Watson?
Good morning blitz138, Its been a good 20 years maybe longer now scence I went by that spread of scrapers and dozers what I do remember is they were parked on top right at the top of a rock cut slope on HWY 90 the slope I think was 20' to 30' high and there was drill holes left from the blasting. The one tractor that really caught my eye was the TC12, what a neat tractor. Have a good safe trip. looking forward to your good news to us. Mike Nebergall
Wabcoman is right. I was talking to Nick Ross of C & R Developments today, the Ross's have a tie up with Bakers. He said they had a TC12 but sold it to the guy across the road from their workshop at Hautapu. He said the guy drove it across the road into his paddock then a final drive promptly collapsed. He pulled it to bits and just left it. It has sat there ever since. Nick said he thought they had 3 TC12's and could remember climbing on them when he was a kid. Will take a drive out there and have a look when I get a chance.
Just been out to Hautapu this afternoon, talked to the Ross's. They said they hoped to buy the TC 12 back so they can restore it.They have a lot of old dozers and they plan to build a big new workshop to repair their machines in and to use their existing workshop, which is near new, as a museum. I went and looked at the old girl, as they said, shes in a pretty bad way. Would be a major undertaking to restore it, but then anythings possible. They were trying to remember how many were imported into NZ and who owned them. Wabcoman says there were 9. Collis's had 1, Ministry of Works had 2, Feist & McJorrow had 2, Evans had 1, Bakers had 1, but ended up with 3. One that Bakers got came from Rotorua where it had been modified into some big scrub crusher, but I think they stripped and wrecked that one. All very interesting.
Yair . . . Gavin84w . I'm a bit late to the party here but a bloke called Earl Watson was trying to pull with TC12's west of Morven in probably the mid 'sixtys. They were fitted out with pretty crude scrub canopys . . . a bit of a problem given the oscillation. I had a play for a few hours but was not that impressed. Lack of clearance was a major problem. I don't know where they ended up . . . they could still be out there somewhere abandoned in the scrub. Cheers.
Hi craig; yeah have a idea Bakers did make 1 out of 2 or 3. That one there was supposed to be Evans one; the last one sold i think. From my hazy drunken memory it was rebuilt in the mid 80s; around tthe same time Bakers got there 2 D10s. Bloke called Brian McWha [i think,surname is correct anyway] did alot of the rebuild. Merv
A bloke Mike Johnson had two up north here converted for scrub clearing, The seat was up the front on the bonnet I think and each engine had a winch to steer the scrub roller.
Interesting, I've seen this set up on a 82-40 but never knew there was TC-12's set up like this. Where are they now Brainzie.
Yair . . . Brainzie and 68M. Can you tell us more please? What was the set up? Why was the seat on the bonnet? What is a "scrub roller". How did it steer? Why was it hooked to a winch? You know, just a few details? LOL. Cheers.
D6 Merv, The cast in order of appearance: 1st unit to Feast & McJorrow 2nd unit to L.D.Collis 3rd unit to L.D.Collis 4th unit to Ministry of Works 5th unit to Ministry of Works 6th unit to W.G.Evans (Benmore) 7th unit to Evans Road Construction 8th unit to Horowhenua Earthworks All from official Clyde Eng delivery records The WabcoMan
Brainzie, the Terex's that Mike Johnson had were 82-40's, not TC 12/ 82-80's. I used to live up north and saw one of them on a job I did at Herekino on the Hokianga. Scrub Puller, the machines were gravity rollers, used for crushing scrub on steep country(some of it bloody steep), in preparation for planting radiata pine forests. In this case the 82-40 had a made up double drum winches on the rear, driven from the PTO on the dozer, one drum each side lined up with the tracks. The rope went along above the tracks to swivelling pulleys mounted on the top of the blade. The roller was an old steam boiler specially strengthened inside, or it could be a purpose built large drum. Not sure of the dimensions, I guess maybe 20 ft wide and 8-10 ft high. It had steel welded on edge to act as cutters, usually in a chevron pattern. It had a frame on it for a drawbar and the 2 ropes were fixed one on each side. I think it had air controls to the brakes on each winch. D6 Merv may know more about the details. The dozer would start at the top of a ridge and push the roller over the edge of a steep slope. The pulleys on top of the blade enabled the roller to be at 90 degrees to the dozer. The roller would race down the slope smashing everything in its path till it reached the bottom. It would be winched back up, the dozer would move a bit further down the ridge and let it go again. The brakes enabled the roller to be steered. I can tell you it was pretty spectacular to watch. The cab and controls were moved to the front of the machine to give better visibility for the operator. I had a mate who built up a smaller unit on an 82-20. He used the front axle from a Terex S11 scraper. Fitted the winch drums where the wheels were, still had the scraper brakes and mounted to rear of dozer driven from PTO. Terex's were used because the trensmission could be used to give a 3 speed winch. I think the steering clutches were disengaged while winching. Cats could not be used. Once again D6 Merv can probably explain. They also used D7F's with Hyster logging winches with the roller at the rear, but these were not as good as the single rope could not steer the roller. I hope you can understand what I have written. If you have any questions I will try and answer them for you.
Yair . . . Thanks Kiwi Craig . Pretty good description, I think I've got my head around it. I take it they put a red steer through the scrub after it was crushed? What sort of areas are we talking and I assume the area was chopper seeded or was it hand planted to seedlings like over here? Interesting stuff and thanks. I suppose like most of us in those days the blokes were too busy doing the job rather than taking photo's . . . they would have of considerable interest now. Cheers.
Were the TC12s that came Into New Zealand TC12-2s as I have understood them to be, or were they another model variant?
Thanks Kiwi Craig, I never sore them just from what I had heard,
I Googled " NZ Gravity Rollers" and came up with this.... http://www.nzjf.org/free_issues/NZJF26_1_1981/5A680FBC-F8DE-4D02-8D02-0E20B10F6238.pdf
Yair . . . Thanks Kiwi Craig. Fascinating stuff. A bloody marvelous resource this internet thingy hey?
Scrub Puller, The area being crushed could be hundreds of hectares or maybe less than one hundred. Bigger units usually did the big blocks of land due to the cost of transporting the machine and roller. The young trees are all hand planted at 1000 per hectare then thinned to 350 by year 10. Harvested at between 26 -30 years old, depends where they are grown in the country, up north they grow quicker due to warmer weather. Young trees are all cuttings, not seedlings. Lots of research over the years has gone into improving the genetics of the young trees.
Yair . . . Gotcha Kiwi Craig. I was involved with large scale clearing for (I think) for hand planted Carribean Pine plantations in the 'seventies and I'm amazed at how the stuff has gone feral from wind blown seed. Cheers.
Johnsons converted 82-40 at Whangarei, 1979
Yair . . . thanks WabcoMan . They sure did a professional looking conversion . . . you wouldn't know if you didn't know. Cheers.
Gravity rolling was in its heydays in the 1980s in nz. Both mike johnson [82-40] and lex norton [HD16DP] did roller crushing in my end of the world with their double drum roller setups. Have seen the rollers hit a 2ft standing pine and actually climb up the tree about 6 ft before smashing through the trunk. Absolutely awesome to watch. Kiwi Craig is correct in that only machines i ever saw set up like this were Terexs . Apart from lex norton who was a AC man and custom made his HD16. Never heard of any caterpillars set up like this. But were alot of people using D7Fs and D6Cs using rollers off there logging winchs. Bob Schmansky from whangarei did alot of this work. The bush block was a super heavy duty copy of the sheaves set up on a cat PCU and meant you didn,t have to sit sideways on a razorback ridge and made life alot easier and safer for the man in the seat. But alot of people just straight spooled the rope to the roller; just like winding in rope when logging. cheers merv
G'Day Fella's, in 1992 or 3 we destocked a place called "Welclose Downs" between Charlaville and Adavle in Qld, it was about 30 ks into the cattle yards with a real good Jumpup about halfway that we had to stiff bar over on the way out loaded. At the top of the Jumpup there were 2 of the ugliest Dozers id ever seen they were white with 2 GM'S in each. They still had the Scrub Chain hooked between them and parked beside the old chains and grousers that they had changed. When i asked the manager he said they were delivered there in the sixties on 2 BModel Macks and they pulled 60k acres with them and then just parked them on top of the Jumpup. I think CSR owned Welclose Downs when we were destocking it, i know they owned Portland Downs at Isiford and we done it at the sametime, Clayton Scarce of Clayton Scarce Rural in Blackall was the agent at the time, maybe they are still sitting there.
That is a clean looking conversion. It looks like it worked great for the task it was built for, but I imagine the mechanic hated doing any work on the engine.
Yair . . . Interesting Hardcountry . Yer a bit rough with the "ugly" don'tcha reckon? LOL . Makes me think though they could be the same ones I saw at Morven and mentioned up thread. Ugly was the impression I got of them, mainly the canopies. I thought they could have ended up abandoned . . . There's a couple of Allis 41's parked I think on "Charleton" between St George and Bollon. Cheers
D6 Merv, The reason they only used Terex dozers on the rollers was something to do with the difference in the transmissions. Alan Grimes who built up the roller on the 82-20 explained it to me, but I cant recall how the story went. The Allison transmission had some feature that the Cat didnt. Sometimes used to be roading on the same job as Lars on Schmansky's D7F. Some of that country they crushed was really steep, hanging the rear of the D7 right on the edge, the front rearing up when he started winching the roller up again.
Hi Craig had a brain surge last night. I have seen a custom built twin drum gravity roller set up on a direct drive D7E in rotorua. possibly was lakeland plant hires. Think they also did a twin drum setup driven off a logging winch on a komatsu D85. Got some pics somewhere of Lars Rosenwarne on his D7F scrub rolling around tutamoe [?] on back road to kaikohe from maugatapere. Still plenty of land that could be crushed and planted in pines in nz. All that work that was done in the 80s is the reason for all the logging work going on in nz today. We just need to put a few of the greenie politicians in front of the roller when its going to eliminate all this green b.......t were faced with today Merv
Another of Johnson's scrub roller conversions, this time on a Euclid C-6. Note the additional height on the grousers achieved by welding extra bar on, and the winch setup. Must have been real fun sitting on top of that 6-71 !!
hi guys just a quick comment i did a bit of reserch into the welclose downs tractors and they still survive they belong along with im told a couple of others down on the darling downs the question i hav is that acouple of guys iv worked with in the past hav told me including one of the operators of the welclose tractors is that the english built euclids had a version of the tc12 accept yhey were cummins powerd apparently they were of a slightly different dimention afew guys i talked to said this isnt so but iv no reason to dought the guys thatn hav told me has any one got any pics or info on this subject
that 8250 was sold by blackwood -hodge in CAIRNS,QLD last one no the saleman still have a workshop manual for the 8280/tc12
Euc-c6 cummins powered
The TC-12 in Western Australia was sold by the local agents, Blackwood Hodge, to a big limestone quarry, about 40 or 50 kms North of Perth. It was purchased to rip the limestone caprock, which previously could only be broken up by drill and blast. The TC-12 was the only tractor capable of ripping this caprock to expose the softer, sought-after limestone below. The TC-12 was retired when the new D10 appeared, and the local Cat agents, Wigmores tractors, did a demo, proving that the D10 could rip the limestone caprock with ease. There was a funny story associated with this demo. The D10 was transported to the limestone quarry in preparation for the ripping demo in front of the quarry owner and any other interested parties. All the sales reps and head honchos of Wigmores - along with other assorted interested "watchers" - were all standing around the ripper, when the operator cranked the D10 up, fed it to her, and sank the shank in. They reckon the scene was hilarious, as the caprock burst and exploded out of the ground like artillery rounds, and huge chunks of caprock lobbed right in amongst all the gawkers around the ripper!! They reckon the mob scattered like a bunch of rabbits that had sighted a fox, after a few of these huge chunks of caprock landed in their midst!! LOL This TC-12 was parked up and effectively abandoned, when Gary Brookes purchased it in the late 1980's from the limestone quarry owner. The TC-12 in Western Australia isn't fully restored - but it's in working order, and on display in the first-class Dardanup Heritage Park Museum - and the last time I sighted it in early 2009, it had a collapsed track adjuster, that was stopping it from working. There's a picture of it in the DHPM photo gallery. http://www.dardanupheritagepark.com.au/
If anyone is looking for an Euclid TC12, there is one coming up for auction in February here in Central Queensland. Also an Allis Chalmers HD41 if something a little bigger is desired. Many other crawlers also on the block. Go to www.hassalls.com.au and select antique tractor auction for photos. John
There are some nice old tractors in the sale. Thanks for the link.
in huntly back in the 70s/80s i had some seat time on feasts tc12,cable blade and hyd tilt,it was pushing ts32s untill downer took over and tandem pushed with 2 x d9hs,i am sure it was sold to bakers who turned it into hyd blade.
I am looking for a TC 12 also preferibly ohio michigan indiana area any leads or know where one is out in the sticks give me a shout thank you for any help or leads
There is one in Oz for sale next month....
I don't think i could pay the shipping on that one lol guess I could break out a paddle boat and row it home???
the downer one was an 8250 when the d9s came it was down graded to ripping for the ts18 as the d9 tandem pushed and ripped for the 32. in the mid 80s the 8050 then went to tauranga to push wood chip at the wharf. it was either the wharf company or lamberts that had it then i think it was lamberts it had a big chip blade put on it and they liked it because with the radiator on the back there was no chip blown around i think it was replaced with the d11
yeah; just refreshed this one for Ben from oz, about gravity rolling
There is a beautiful restored TC-12 that stays at the National Pike show in Brownsville,Pa.