just bought a 1978 cat 215 with 9000hrs looks in good shape are they good machine? are they prone to problems?
I started in business with one about 12 years ago. I got rid of it about 3 years ago. Mine was newer, a 1985 with 4 cylinder engine, had 12000 hours when i got it and almost 15000 when i got rid of it. I think one of the biggest differences between yours and the one i had is that the newer one has pilot controls. It was a great machine for me, some days i wish i had it back. It never really gave me any major problems and it didn't have very good care before i got it. Someone rebuild the boom cylinders and pump before me. I had to fix some seals but that's about it. It was not the speediest but it would work all day on a ridiculous small amount of fuel.
Now I need to get a thumb for it
I have owned a 215C for over 10 years. They are good solid machines, and the 3304 engine is very reliable. The best part is, I guarantee you'll never have a minutes down time due to computers and electronics. Be gentle with the swing gear, don't swing the sides of the bucket into things. You shouldn't do that with any excavator, anyway.
Ya I hear you about the swing stage The previous owner had to fix it because of that
Just an up date on this old machine it runs great starts great and good on fuel just a small leak on the pilot controls right hand side and I noticed one bolt broke off on the ring bearing should I worry obout it?
Yes check the other ones too. Make sure it wasn't loose and fell out. Later Bob
Thanks for the heads up I checked the bolts beside and they were loose