Okay, the simplest things made impossible, I guess. The service manual assumes I know what I'm doing, but the only way I can see to replace the v-belt (which has shredded itself) on my Case 550G, is to remove the equipment pump and/ or the bracket that holds it on, to access the bottom pulley. I am not an engineer, (I did ride a train, once) but I can't imagine anyone actually making an all day job out of a simple belt replacement. Am I missing something here?
Okay, looking at it, not really a "v" belt, more like a crooked, chubby, "P" belt, but it looks like a designer needs to be sentenced to work on one!
It is called a serpentine belt. You have to split the pump coupler and slide it to get the belt on the crankshaft pulley.
Thanks, Tinkerer, the "v-belt" comment was from old habit from working for a dealer selling fan belts, alternator belts, and accessory belts, 50 years ago, and the "P belt" was a joke. I was wondering about unbolting and sliding that instead of removing the whole pump (and losing all the fluid that would get out, and I wouldn't re-use it) but wasn't sure it would slide along the splines of that shaft far enough to work the belt in there. (Although getting the four bolts out, and back in, on that may be a challenge in itself.) Appreciate the reply, am about to go see if the penetrating lube/rust catalyst made it possible to loosen those bolts without breaking them or losing too much hide off my knuckles.
Well, heck, that didn't work. Tried to take that "coupler" off that's mounted to the pulley, and after much effort, got the bolts loosened, but, the bolts are too long to come out. They hit the inside of the bracket that holds the hydraulic pump (and serves as the front engine mount) before they are clear of the holes, and all the wiggling and turning I could do wouldn't get them out. (Probably would never get them back in.) I tried removing the pump, but after taking it apart, pulling it with straps until they were so tight they were humming, and even trying to tap a chisel in between the bracket and pump, couldn't get the thing to move at all. Why on earth would someone design something where you can't do simple maintenance? Any help out there?
Got it fixed, after a lot of un-necessary disassembly. Request to all who sell their equipment on, please never replace "stock" bolts with longer ones. Creates extra work for the next guy, and a couple of busted knuckles. (Solution, after loosening bolts on coupler as far as possible, loosen equipment pump and move forward as far as possible, (with that confusing "bump" on the bottom of the housing that hits the front "plate" underneath the radiator, I found nearly 1/4 inch before I'd have to jack up the front of the engine) that gave me just enough room for the bolts to clear the crankshaft pulley, and allow me to move the coupler forward enough to wiggle the belt in there.)
Be sure and check the front engine mount while you are in there.