Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New to me Case 450C Dozer

Metalman 55 · 2020-03-04 18:38

I picked up this Case 450C today at the RB auction. I went up to the preview on Monday to check out the equipment lineup & this 450C caught my eye. Looked nice & clean, I ran it a little & I was the successful high bidder today. Wish me luck!!

Replies11
  1. #1Metalman 552020-03-05 20:34

    The ser # taken from the Ritchie site on this unit is GBE000XXXX. It will be a few days till I get the machine home here & I wondered if anyone has access to an old brochure that shows the weight, dims, & other specs on the tractor? Any information would be appreciated! Metalman

  2. #2CaseFan132020-03-05 22:16

    You can find that information on the Case website under prior models.

  3. #3Metalman 552020-03-05 23:39

    Found it...…..thanks!

  4. #4Metalman 552020-03-07 09:54

    I wonder if the service manuals carry the info on the lubricants too? https://www.ebay.com/itm/CASE-450C-...137817?hash=item4da6d01a19:g:cx0AAOSwSgFeQcAb

  5. #5Welder Dave2020-03-07 13:33

    Looks like a pretty clean unit.

  6. #6Metalman 552020-03-07 14:58

    Yeah, I thought so too. Looks can be deceiving sometimes though!! Hope not! I'll find out this coming week when we move it home...…….

  7. #7Tinkerer2020-03-07 18:07

    The one I have does.

  8. #8Metalman 552020-03-19 17:13

    Case 450C has been serviced, greased, lights fixed & in general gone over for a bit of neglect & today I helped our mechanic at his place to do some property cleanup as he plans to sell this year. Also filled in over a ditch crossing where he installed a new culvert. The little 450C seems to perform ok so far.

  9. #9Metalman 552020-06-01 19:47

    This little 450C runs great so far, but one thing I notice...…..when steering, shifting from high-low & vise versa it hits pretty hard, sort of hammers the drive train. I try to just slip into neutral on the one side to reduce the hammering, but sometimes it is necessary to make a more positive turn & necessary to put one track into low or high for the turn. I wonder, is there a modulation valve built into the system, that can be adjusted to "soften the blow" when turning, or shifting back & forth from low to high on both tracks simultaneously, when demand calls for it?

  10. #10Bill Edwards2020-06-03 17:50

    Well it's hard to say for sure without being there to have a go in it, but I suspect you need to ease off the revs a little - changing both tracks from low to high or going for a sharp turn while pushing with the machine does feel a bit savage and where possible I try to avoid it, mostly you can avoid being too abrupt. But yes it is in or out, I'm not aware of any way to change this but the experts may know better.

  11. #11monster762020-06-08 21:13

    operating them old case dozers you have to play with the throttle sort of like when you float gears in a rig, I learned how to run a dozer in one just like yours and now I own an 1150e, if you keep your foot in throttle or time incorrectly it willl rattle your soul after a while you will see that feathering the throttle for smooth transitioning between hi and low will become natural and you wont even have to think about it