I was looking at the mulching heads for skid steers and couldn't get over the investment it took to get in that business. Then I found the brush cutters that mount on the front of the skid steers. Does anyone have one and how well do u like it. Its not as grand as the mulching heads but the work we do we just need to get the material on the ground it doesnt have to be mulched. I like this one from www.brushmonster.com it claims to cut up to 5" trees. What do you fellas think. What kind of production do you get with these type mowers. What size unit would be best suited for a brush cutter. Thanks for any input
Look at the US mower skid steer mower it will cut 8" trees minimax
Just a quick observation based on what the unit looks like. I think that a consistant diet of 5 inch material would destroy that machine. The unit is made of .25" material. It just does not look all that heavy duty. But it might be enough to get you in the market and make some money with it. It looks to me like it leaves a a lot of large pieces behind. Depending on the money it might be worth it. The hyd requirements are low which is surprising.
Thanks for the info to us mowers, I haven't seen them yet and looks like there worth checking into. Yeagh the bush hogs don't do a great job like the mulching heads but the brush mower is only 7 grand where mulchers are 20 grand. For what I am going to do i just need to get the material on the ground. Thanks for you fellas input! Chris
We just picked up Bobcats own version, put it on a S300 it works well up to 4" nicely, If you got time bigger, but a chainsaw can buck up that 6"+ stuff better. Teeth on the head are expensive though!!
For the bigger trees to go along with your brush cutter,might consider a tree shear.I use the shear,but would be nice to have brushcutter also.Never any end to what a person needs. I need ,i need the list goes on. ointhead
a good skid steer tree killer i have an tree shear made in sidney iowa it can shear up to 14 inch trees and can turn 110 degrees vertical so you can trim branches and pick up and move trees that you cut. i use it on my new holland ls 180. its a single blade design so almost every tree falls to the left. then push a electric switch which operates an electric hydralic valve to rotate the shear 90 degrees pick up the tree and pile it.
Welcome to HEF beandrew! :drinkup
Thanks country boy where did you find that jdeere logo need it as a sticker for my crownline boat trying to get my 3 post done so i can start a thread. i post on midwestboatparty.com, dodgedieselresource.com, ford diesel .com something or other same general website designs try to be a good internet err . i am in the process of buying a cat 930 wheel loader and an excavator i have an new holland skid steer LS 180 and attachments John Deere 8430, 9420T, 8520T, 7800, 4010, new holand tg255 (not so proud of that), and a poop load of farm equipment.
Can't remember where I found that. :beatsme
CE Attachments make a good Brush/Mower deck for the skid steer. Nice and beefy to hold up to all the abuse it gets. We have them at my job and have had no problems, just routine maintenance.
Welcome to HEF XL4300X! :drinkup
At roughly $125.00/hour, how can I justify buying a timber axe which I have to use an hour per day to sharpen the blades, versus a carbide job which runs for 500 hours with no maintenance (virtually)? IN the same 500 hours on a timber axe, (500/8) I'd have to sharpen the blades over 60 times. Over 60 hours lost in the 500 hour life. At $125.00/hr, you do the math. This thing would cost an enormous amount of money in maintenance. Justified?
we have a timberax...we sharpen the blades before the job...and take about 15min at lunch to hit em real quick then at the end of the day another 15min..sharpen again when we return to the shop...a good sharpening job with a 9inch grinder takes us 30min at the very most....been doing this for about 1000hrs of use now...just recently put on our second set of blades (which were included with our purchase of the machine at no extra $) there are time when I would MUCH rather have a carbide head such as when I have some debris thats down in the dirt that I want to mulch...dirt puts a hurtin on the timberax blades...a carbide would tear right through it tho....but carbides leave alot bigger waste unless you do multiple passes....just my 2 cents
I would agree Carbide tips can bust up a lot with low maintenance, but one sacrifices teeth wear for machine wear ( more passes). We rate our jobs for the quality. Forestry jobs mostly do not require fine mulch two passes generally covers it. Pastures require four, and future development without stripping require much more. THe other thing a guy has to keep in mind is your drum RPM some of these heads will run on low GPM but the the big heads are dumping 41 gpm through big hoses, they don't give up on much. The S300 Bobcat (37gpm) gives up easier than the Rayco 87FM (41gpm). Some of these electric over hydraulic units are not going to take the lugging abuse over long periods of time.