I got to thinking that since my Case 1830 seems to need engine work, and I never was that impressed with that tiny lil' motor anyhow, what would it take to repower it with a different motor? Maybe something like a Cummins 855 Big Cam? Just joking! However, there must be some nice little Mitsubishi or Yanmar, or something- preferably diesel. Has anyone done this, and how much of a hassle is it? Ultimately, I suppose that it would be cheaper and easier to fix up my 67 cubic inch Continental than it would be to repower it. Then I wonder if a Volkswagon Jetta diesel would fit pretty well and if I could get one from a junkyard for not-a-ton-o-cash. I don't mind doing projects like this; in fact I kind of enjoy it. However, realistically I don't really have the time for yet another project on the list... Whadaya think? Paul
I'd try to find out what the diesel option was in the machine originally. (Presuming there was a choice.) That would probably be the most likely to bolt right up.
The 1830 I think is similiar physically to an 1840. The 1840 had a 3.9 cummins. That would be the most logical since motor mounts could be gotten off of an 1840. However by the time you were done you may have been better off just to buy an 1840. So at the end of the day I would probably just rebuild the original since that would be the least costly. Unless your just looking for a Winter project.
There was no diesel engine available in the 1830- just that little gas motor. The 1835 (next newer model) had the Case D188 in it. The frame size of the 1830 was a bit different from the 1840, although the 1840 was derived from the 1830 and 1835, so I'm not sure how the Cummins 3.9 or the D188 would fit. I'm guessing that the available space would be too small without some modifications- like you said, it might not be worth the effort. The other thing is that they run the Continental gas engine at 3550 RPM. The other motors are slower by maybe 1000 rpm(?), and that would make the hydraulics rather slow, I'd think. The little bugger just has no torque as it is now though... Paul
A while back I replaced a Wisconsin engine in an old Uni-loader with a 4cyl Pinto engine. Just had to replace the shaft coupler with a custom rig attached to the crankshaft. Air filter was routed to the carb, and the radiator at the rear. Process took several days, but the old loader ran well afterwards.
any one have a service manual for a case 1830
Just remember that all car/truck diesels will have an automotive governor fitted. You will need a motor with an industrial governor, (you set the speed that you want and the governor throttles up or down as required to keep speed constant). Many engines can be converted between automotive and industrial, these typically will come from manufacturers such as Cummins, Cat or Detroit Diesel who have a presence in both the automotive and industrial markets, usually it is not a cheap process. You will need to source a diesel with an industrial governor that also develops it's power with a similar operating speed to the petrol that you are replacing, (a NH turbo comes to mind if it will fit as it is a real screamer). My thoughts are that the return will not justify the effort as a good engine conversion takes much thought and effort to accomplish.
find and old 4-53 detroit or somethin crazy man, just make sure your relief pressures arent outta whack. an 1100 perkins, 4276 deere, or 4bt cummins should fit, and not too pricey, find a wood chipper or something, strip the motor and scrap the rest. we had picked one up a while back for 1200 cdn. with the perkins, pulled the motor, sold the knives for 300 and scrapped it for 200, the motor was 700 bucks at that point. but seriously, look into the 4-53 and you'd be my hero