Looking at a grizzly screen plant (box screen with adjustable grizzly bars) to use screening under one inch material. The grizzly box screen costs a lot less then the small vibrating box screens. With the adjustable grizzly bars the opening can be adjusted from one inch to 12 inch plus. To see pictures of what machine I am communicating about go to rocktough.com web site, look at 10 foot model. Has any one any experience with using a grizzly bar screen plant to screen under one inch material? How did it work? What problems did you have? How much production did you get, and what size bucket did you feed it with?
Never even considered a grizzly for anything smaller than 6''. Biggest problem with grizzlies is slightly oversise material getting stuck between the bars which of course can be mitigated by a careful operator if high rate of production is not required. My guess would be keeping grizzly bars alone set at 1" clear of oversize material to be highly labor intensive and frustrating. Have no experience with the unit you are considering but it looks like the 10'ft unit would work best for what you describe using the optional screen with the grizzly bars removed. Production and quality/gradation depends on material. Keep in mind that any fines such as sand, dirt, etc will easily fall through 1''- screen media which can also become plugged with moist clay and/or slightly oversize material caused by impact from repeated use. A lot would depend on your location and the geology of your material source as well as your expected rate of production. If you are working with primarily river bottom mostly round gravelly type of material I would think this unit would work ok. Have no idea what the asking price for a new grizzly like this is but for what it's worth I have seen decent one and two deck used smaller mobile vibrating screens sell for around 20k. "Reed" and others manufacture various configurations that are very basic, tough as hell and easy to repair and operate. If you do look into a power screen I suggest considering units with coil springs only!!!! Stay away from any that use a semi eliptical or leaf type of spring as they become very unreliable as the spring ends/mounting points wear out. Check out "Reed Screen All". I think in the long run you will find something of this nature to be a better investment as far as versatility and production.
Forestroad thank you for your reply. I am surprised that no one else has replied! Any one else have any input on this post?????
I don't think too many people have used a grizzly to do this. I like the idea od a smaller vibrating screen myself. We have a read CV150 and its a great machine. Albeit quite large, but smaller versions are available.
A static grizzly is poor for the use you describe. A Reed Screen All or an Extec Robotrack would be my choice.
I think you will find the production rate would be so low it would not be worth doing it.I would be more apt to buy a smaller vibratory screen.
If your trying to grizzly down to a one inch spec don't waste the money on it. First off a grizzly is crude when it comes to sizing material. A rock 1 inch wide and six feet long would pass thru... I know this is unrealistic, but just trying to show you the problem. Sooner or later your gonna run into a spec problem.... secondly, its just going to bridge across the opening unless its powder dry (altho its been that dry around here lately). Thirdly, I hope your not my competition... lol.
I agree with all the previous comments. Add to that if there is any moisture a non-vibrating system will plug and blind the screen, resulting in passing all material. This would cause the need to of considerable labor and re-screening of material. Large volume more cost effective to rent vibrating screen, small volume cheaper to buy off-site. My two cents!