I'm seeking to paint the frame rails on my pickup. They have a flaky, crusty mixture of rust and old "rattle-can" rubber undercoating. My plan would be removing the crust with a needle scaler and then performing KBS's 3-step frame coating process. Just would like to see if anyone has any reviews of these products? Thanks.
Don't know about KBS but have used Gempler's rust converter for years with very satisfactory results.
So if I scale the rust off, will this product adhere well?
It always has for me. Really I found that you only need to remove the loose stuff. It's best applied with a brush in 2 or 3 cotes. I have tried spraying it and it took too long to accomplish the same results (has to be thinned since it about the consistency of latex paint). There are imitators out there that I have tried (menards stuff) and found them to be worthless. (I still have 3 or 4 unopened gallon jugs that you can have if you'll pay the freight.) I have used this stuff for truck wheels, semi frame rails, tractor fenders and love it. You can paint right over it after it has dried. The only cautions that I can offer is not to let it freeze in the jug, unless you want black hands wear rubber gloves and there is an expiration date on the jug that is meaningful. It really does turn bad so don't stock up with more than you can use in 6 months or so.
So do I need to paint it afterwards? I'm just looking for a nice black finish, it doesn't need to be showroom. If it holds up well to road salt/grime without having to be painted, that would be ideal. I assume if you use it on semis, it must be pretty tough.
No. There is no need to paint it. It's opaque white when applied and dries to a semi gloss black. Years ago my son and I put some on the top of a john deere fender that had surface rust. We did nothing to prep it and left the old girl in the fence row where it had been for years. I can't remember if we put on one or two coats but it stayed there probably 8 years in the weather and sun .
I may give it a try. Thank you.
The problem with it is it's not ultraviolet protected so when it's in the sun it turns like a chalky color I painted the inside of the bed on my pick up with it and it turned chalky and doesn't look very good but anything out of the sun it works well.