Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

PARKER / GRESEN, V20, 4 LEVER HYDRAULIC VALVE QUESTION

JC Sparks ยท 2017-02-10 19:57

I have a question on the operation of this valve. It is a 4 spool / lever hydro valve V20 4342 K . In the pic below, I put pressure (125 psi for bench testing) in the "IN" port and looking at the pic the 3 valve blocks from left to right operate normally to control a hydro cylinder, but the fare right block is ware I am confused. The pressure comes out of both ports with out shifting the spool. I was hoping to be able to operate 4 cylinders with it but I am not sure about that right valve. I hope someone can explane what I am seeing here. Thanks JC

Replies7
  1. #1DIYDAVE2017-02-10 20:38

    You might want to go to surpluscenter.com's web site, and start looking up numbers, there. I believe they sell parker/gresen valves. It might be that the odd valve is a motor control valve, or has some other quirk...

  2. #2partsandservice2017-02-10 22:19

    I am going to take a stab at this. The control valve assembly is set up as power beyond valve, so since it is not being operated in a power beyond set up the pressure is not connected to tank as it should be in an open center system ( not power beyond) And... The forth spool is a motor spool which would be open to tank in neutral, so since it is not open to tank your pressure oil comes out the work ports on the forth valve. This could be overcome by connecting the outlet on the far right valve back to the one marked outlet on the far left valve with a hose and Tee. This would connect the tank to pressure in the neutral position on all the valves sections.

  3. #3JC Sparks2017-02-11 07:05

    Thanks for that info. Could I do this, If I removed the 4th valve would it operate as a normal 3 lever valve? Thanks for all the help.

  4. #4DIYDAVE2017-02-11 07:18

    I would think so, if the end cap works on the "normal" sections...

  5. #5partsandservice2017-02-11 09:25

    If it is in fact a power beyond set up then you must still add the hose and tee to connect the pressure to tank. In a power beyond set , the port marked outlet in the far left section will only return to tank when blowing over the main relief.

  6. #6JC Sparks2017-02-11 15:05

    Here is what I did. I removed the valve in question and put it back together. I then put pressure to the inlet and it comes out of the return, I can shift the valves and they all appear as they will extend and retract a cylinder. The return port turns off when I shift the valves, so I think I'm good. I thank you all for your help and info.

  7. #7lantraxco2017-02-11 18:27

    Typically where that big plug is on the far end, you install a hollow sleeve plug and the line coming out of that will be power beyond. The blank plug indicates either open center which you have, or can be a long plug to convert it to closed center. Clever.