Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Anyone use Ocala Instruments?

jazak ยท 2006-12-04 18:43

So does anyone use it? Does anyone know what it is? Looks like an awesome tool. Costs around $10,000 installed with redbates, ect. Talked to the sales guy today, seems very simple to use. Nice guy, he's actually going to be up this way so if any ones interested call him up and he said he stop by you yard/site and demonstrate how it works. His name is; Robert Catledge 877.857.0135

Replies12
  1. #1Countryboy2006-12-04 20:24

    What does Ocala Instruments make?

  2. #2jazak2006-12-04 21:04

    *********LONG TO READ BUT WELL WORTH IT********* Some one removed my link. They make Depth Monitor that mounts on the boom of the excavator. Then a reader mounts in the cab and you calibrate the distance from where its mount to the bottom of the bucket. It will pickup a laser and the transmit that to the cab. You can then put the bottom of the bucket on ANYTHING and it will tell you the depth. You can also type in the depth and once you get close it will start to beep and once you reach the desired depth it will give out a steady beep. As long as you don't move the tracks on the excavator you can swing a full 360 degrees and not need the laser and it will tell you the hieght & depth. Once you move the tracks then you just have to find the 360 degree laser beem you have out and it will do the same thing. Also you can get it to tell you the distance from any wall so if you want to dig say 5' back away from a wall it will pick that up to. So it works BOTH VERTICAL & HORIZONTAL!!!!!

  3. #3Countryboy2006-12-04 21:11

    For 10k I'll just keep my trusty measuring stick although it does sound like a nice set up. Are you looking at getting one of these Jazak?

  4. #4Steve Frazier2006-12-04 22:47

    jazak, if anyone had altered your post there would be a tag at the bottom of your post saying it was edited like on Countryboy's post above. Something else must have happened to it. Is your salesman aware that you've posted his phone number here? I have a little concern about that if it was done without his permission. If he's ok with it, so am I.

  5. #5CascadeScaper2006-12-05 02:38

    The system looks very nice, maybe for a single man operation. But, I can do just as much with a guy running a grade rod. Nice stuff though, looked at their site and it's a nice setup.

  6. #6jazak2006-12-05 09:16

    Yes he's fine with his phone # being up.

  7. #7jmac2006-12-05 11:51

    I think for the $1500 I spent on the Depth Master you get a lot for your money. The main reason was to not have to have a guy with a grade stick and this unit you can acheive that for a small amount if money. The one you talking about is very nice but you could pay a stick guy for a long time for $10,000. Just my $.02.

  8. #8Mart Hale2007-01-27 17:13

    -------------------------------------------------------- Hi, I sell these on Ebay, would be glad to answer any questions about this device. Thanks :thumbsup

  9. #9Nac2008-09-07 21:57

    I know this tread is old but did you ever purchase the system? demo it? what did you think? And do you know if the salesman is still demo there system I am intrested int that unit.

  10. #10Mart Hale2008-09-08 09:03

    RE: Ocala Hi, I am glad to answer any questions about the Ocala.. Quote >I am interested in the unit for my excavator. I have one question you can set >up dept and length of trench but if you move you machine how does that >effect everything. Hello, Nuccio When you move the machine you can use the "store/recall" or a laser. I will send you the manual via email, if you like send me via email your address and I will send you the manual. Be sure to check out our newest product "Excavision" it adds a whole new set of eyes for easier control. Best regards,

  11. #11Squizzy246B2008-09-08 09:47

    Nac, a fellow contractor down here has been using this one for a couple of years and swears by it: http://earthmovinglasers.com.au/machine-mounted-receiver-p-38.html we use a real basic one (the CR 5): http://laserservices.com.au/index.php?Itemid=1&category_id=8&option=com_phpshop&page=shop.browse

  12. #12catd8t2008-09-08 16:18

    ive been told its good to rough in a hole then go back and use a grade rod to dress it up but ive never used one if u get one that can do fine work well ill have to talk somepoeple into buying one for me hahahaha