Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Anyone use their dozer to pull a large offset harrow?

MRRPM ยท 2011-12-12 00:16

I've got a D6RXL, bought a fairly large offset (bog) going to try & use the bog to chop up new ground, & cutover, behind the D6. I don't have a large enuf wheel tractor to pull the bog, it's a Rome TACW-20, and Romes website claims between 155-253 PTO horsepower is needed to pull it. I'm pretty sure the D6 will do a good job, the bog is 14ft wide, & has 32"discs, so it would get a good bit of ground covered pretty quick. Anyone ever tried this? How'd it work?

Replies12
  1. #1AmericanLandMgt2011-12-12 16:09

    The guy I bought my dozer from used his D7 to pull a gigantic disk similar to what your have I think. He said if there were stumps no bigger than a foot in diameter he wouldnt even bother pulling them out before he ran the disk. He would just chop the stumps the root mat and everything and disk it right into the ground. He said it saved him massive amounts of money when clearing forested land for farming.

  2. #2MRRPM2011-12-12 18:14

    Thanks for the reply. I have a job coming up, freshly cut pine stumps, lotsa backing up getting them out, if we stump them. I'm thinking might just try discing them out, like you say. The owner isn't opposed to letting them sit for a year or two, if they'll work in easier, he can put cows on it in the meantime. It's about 100 acres to stump, if the disc works, it'll be way cheaper & faster.

  3. #3hardtail2012-01-03 08:21

    I've got a Towner 8' double breaking disk and an old TD18 @ 124 hp and when you get in the hills it sucks up all that power so I would say the estimate is close to the higher end. Neighbour had a TD14 @80 hp with a 6' and it was all it wanted at times.......

  4. #4Greg2012-01-03 08:48

    Did it one time with as I remember 8.0 foot off set. Stumps up to about 6.0 inch diameter from about 10 years in set aside program. Used my D7E (original E series) 180 Horse from a 339 engine. Went right through it no problem. Went length ways, than cross ways, than diagonal on it. Ground everything up real good.

  5. #5MRRPM2012-01-03 16:49

    Here is a pic of my setup.

  6. #6dirtfan2012-01-04 06:33

    I've run dozers with a bogg disc many times through the years, on sites to dry wet clay for compaction. Your D6 R will do OK with your setup, but there will be times that power will become an issue, with a disc this size. But with the transport wheels (I have never had this luxury) you should be able to adjust the load. Most importantly keep an eye on the transmission and engine temperature. Nice setup. Good Luck: Dirtfan

  7. #7hardtail2012-01-04 06:43

    I also never had the fortune of setting the height with wheels.......it would be a nice feature, course the disks aren't nice, new and full diameter anymore either......also concrete/ trackpads and any other heavy ballast loaded onto it........ How do you like the 6R? My buddy was trying to talk me into buying one........

  8. #8MRRPM2012-01-04 07:28

    So far it's working pretty good, the D6 for sure knows it's back there! I actually figured it would pull it pretty easily, I was wrong! It will go right on in 2nd gear on flat ground, first is mandatory on any incline. The disc doesn't have any weight on it, thinking about adding some......as stated, I can raise it a little for easy turning. As far as the 6R, we bought it new in 2006, (it's a D6RXL series III), we only have around 1400hrs on it so far, rear end came out at 180hrs, CAT stood behind it, fixed it under warranty, been good ever since.

  9. #91080 bobcat2012-01-04 09:58

    Hey MRRPM are you plowing across denton farm park

  10. #10MRRPM2012-01-04 14:01

    Yes, behind my shop. Also, a little on Piedmont school road.

  11. #111080 bobcat2012-01-04 18:55

    I thougt that building and land looked like it was across from the farm park

  12. #12Higgins112014-04-24 21:33

    MRRPM, Know anyone who has a set up like yours west of you ......Denton is a couple hours from here and probably a little far for you to haul Thanks