Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Anyone use water methanol injection?

ippielb ยท 2015-05-27 12:15

Just curious if anyone uses water methanol injection on their machinery. I have it on my duramax and it shows great improvement in power and lowering EGT's some. Curious if anyone has run it on equipment, with high load periods it would probably drink the water back pretty quick but I should help with fuel consumption.

Replies6
  1. #1fixou8122015-05-27 15:40

    I've used water injection on petro engines. They used it on WW2 bombers etc. I've heard of truckers etc trickling propane into diesel engines for economy. For a tractor engine with a governor i imagine fuel would be cut back but that rack according to how much propane was tricked in. I also new a mechanic in the very mountonous areas of the Rockies who owned a motorhome who carried his shop oxygen bottles in his motorhome when on trips. ... " For the hills "

  2. #2ol' Grump2015-05-29 07:39

    From memory, back in the late '60's (I think) Pontiac and Oldsmobile had some sort of water injection system on their small turbocharged V8 engines.

  3. #3joispoi2015-05-30 02:52

    I had it set up on my suburban. It would kick in at 10lbs of boost. It made a noticeable difference in acceleration without increasing the egt's. I don't think it saved any fuel, but it was just more fun to drive. It never occurred to me to put water/methanol injection on heavy equipment. Most machines have enough grunt or enough gear reduction to get through the work. I can't think of an application where it would be worth the hassle of having another fluid that you have top off.

  4. #4NC2892015-05-31 22:14

    it would probably be a hassle to rig up and run. You need either a computer to kick it in at X temp or to whatever trigger you want. I had one on a turbo car before, set it up on a switch in the car, deff. made the car run a whole lot better. But we are talking gas motor built for performance, not industrial equipment. If you do end up doing it.... PICS!!!!

  5. #5ippielb2015-05-31 23:25

    SnowPerformance is the brand i have on my truck and it has a stand alone controller that taps in with an EGT probe, and Boost sensor. You can set it to inject at a boost range(low medium or high), or at 1000*F EGT's. I don't know what boost my 973c runs at, if it's anything like my dad's kenworth with the 525 cummins when that gets under load it is 25+ pretty quick. So that would be a medium range to utilize all 4 stages of injection (25%-50%75%-100%), i could decrease the injection amount in percentages, or change out the nozzles for more/less water flow. The kit is affordable and i might take the plunge to see how it goes.

  6. #6lumberjack2015-06-01 11:30

    Seems like a lot of expense and work relative to the available gains. I ran a Snow Performance kit on a 2000 F550 that was chipped. I couldn't find it worth the effort nor expense. My next two 550's haven't had it.