Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Meaning of the numbers

kcarmichael ยท 2015-05-26 16:34

I was talking to a friend about sidebooms, he asked me if I knew why it was a 583 sideboom. Like what does the number 583, or 872 relate to? I looked through the specs and found no relatable numbers

Replies5
  1. #1Nige2015-05-26 17:05

    AFAIK the middle number of the pipelayer model number indicates the tractor from which the sideboom was created, so a 583 comes from a D8 in the same way as a 561 comes from a D6, a 572 from a D7 and the 594 from a D9.

  2. #2Buckethead2015-05-26 18:05

    Correct. 583 is built from D8 components, 594 from D9 components and so on.

  3. #3Nige2015-05-27 04:29

    I always assumed that the 5 in the pipelayer model number was the series designation, much like all Cat excavator model numbers are 3xx, and trucks are 7xx

  4. #4kcarmichael2015-05-27 11:23

    Thats great, that explains the 5, and the 8, any ideas about the 3?

  5. #5Nige2015-05-27 11:38

    Maybe to do with the capacity of the sideboom..? Let's face it the D6-size one is a 561, and for every other model the last digit increases by 1. So effectively a "Size 1" is the smallest and a "Size 4" is the largest.