Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Anyone using a dash camera in their daily driver?

Legdoc · 2025-10-31 20:21

Well it's like this. I have pondered a dash cam but never did it. Yesterday my brother in law was driving his nearly new Silverado in town and had a green light while proceeding into a intersection and T-boned another vehicle. There did not appear to be any serious injuries and the woman in the other vehicle initially apologized admitting responsibility and said " I tried so speed up to make it". She supposedly received a citation for running the light but the police report is not available yet. Today she is claiming my BIL is the one that ran the light. This is already turning into an insurance SNAF*. Any thoughts on a cam in your daily driver?

Replies29
  1. #1reganj2025-10-31 20:40

    My .02,,, Cheap Insurance If you decide to buy, get a 02 pack for each vehicle for front and rear

  2. #2Truck Shop2025-10-31 22:06

    There would be alot more dash cams in use if insurance companies would give a incentive by reducing premiums, but that's not the case. If driving in constant heavy traffic I would have one. Commercially, absolutely.

  3. #3Tones2025-10-31 23:51

    Strange that insurance cos won't give discounts, would have it would be in their interests. Many times over the years I wished I had a dashcam, the last being was when a C17 crossed over in front of me. Yes it was airborne.

  4. #4treemuncher2025-11-01 11:54

    Viofo A229 pro 3 is what I put in the F250. Not the cheapest but best bang for the buck. 3 cameras and parking mode for full time coverage. I plan to add one to the wife's car, too. I got it from Amazon. They might have a better model out by now. We are happy with it.

  5. #5HarleyHappy2025-11-01 14:24

    I have 3 of the Innov V2 for the bikes, front and rear and have needed them 4 times, since I installed them. Every damn time I have an issue in a cage, I swear I’m getting them for my vehicles also. When I ran my own truck, I had one because of all the brake checking mini settlement scumbags and seeing some of the UTube videos. I need to get them for my cars and trucks but still don’t understand why any insurance companies aren’t discounting for them.

  6. #6MarshallPowerGen2025-11-01 14:31

    I run Rexing V1P-Plus cameras between my work truck and personal truck since like 2017. Work great, don't block your view and can be found for pretty cheap at this point. Caught some pretty cool footage over the years.

  7. #7Coaldust2025-11-01 14:42

    A dash cam is on my to-do list. I think they are a great idea. Been looking at the Thinkware, F70 PRO. Maybe, I can finally get good footage of that Sasquatch that crosses the road, occasionally.

  8. #8Truck Shop2025-11-01 16:43

    Park mode is really a must with lot-rash. Grocery store DIY stores are getting real bad for paint. In the years past, dash cams have caught 3 that I know of company trucks being backed into in parking lots of shipper/receivers then drive off. A sudden shock will turn camera on, being able to see trailer plate/number/and company. Dead meat.

  9. #9ahart2025-11-01 20:18

    I run a redtiger F7NP, quality is good, has a replaceable memory card. Runs 30 second clips, about a 2 hour loop or so and then it overwrites. The app is easy to use and very functional. I’ve pulled video a few times to replay some idiot that’s lucky to still be alive but I’ve never had to use it for an accident thankfully.

  10. #10Truck Shop2025-11-01 20:51

    One of our trucks was at a dock unloading with a straight view down the street. A homicide took place on that street at that time. Detectives wanted the dash cam video. Never know just what one will collect at any time.

  11. #11Camshawn2025-11-01 21:18

    I wish that I had a dash cam when the bear ran across in front of us. Pounded the brake peddle and got a souvenir of bear hair on the bumper bolt. Wish I had that on video to go along with the good story.

  12. #12masterwelder2025-11-02 07:03

    Yes. Tractor, both dump trucks, my pickup and wife’s car. No discount on the commercial or personal insurance. Garmin and Blackvue cameras.

  13. #13Truck Shop2025-11-02 07:15

    A correction--Some commercial/carrier insurance does require dash cams for a cut in rates, pay to play.

  14. #14MG842025-11-02 08:09

    I guess I'm just the opposite of yall, I hate cameras and hate constant surveillance, I don't want to be any part of it even if it's for my (supposed) benefit. No cameras in any vehicles, no ring doorbell or any thing like that, I don't even use game cameras any more. I think having a bunch of cameras actually makes a person more paranoid than just not knowing.

  15. #15Old Doug2025-11-02 08:36

    At work they have them in all the trucks but they also have the others that are on the drivers. The Drivers hate them . They say they run the batteries down when there setting . I didnt know i figured they lowered the insurance but i guess i was wrong. I dont like them but can see maybe the ones pointing at traffic could help in a wreck prove what was what.

  16. #16Truck Shop2025-11-02 08:54

    The companies D/C's also view the drivers. It was a constant job of cleaning the inside lens. Tape, fifth-wheel grease you name it. It was the curve of drivers to stop using a hand held devise/cell. I found a common one of cutting off one leg of fuses to cut power to camera. Like that wouldn't be found. They just couldn't get their head around the idea of evidence that protected them when something occurred, till it saved they're butts, then it was great.

  17. #17smifwal2025-11-02 09:35

    REDTIGER 4K 3 Channel Dash Cam,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CSPBJ2HM?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share This is the current one I am using but I have been running dash cams since 2012 when I started doing snow. Funny thing is my girlfriend at the time was watching wrecks and crazy videos on YouTube and you could probably catch some footage like that if you had one. Had a guy in 2015 slide through a intersection and t-bone me, caught it all on tape. Also when I took my CDL test the examiner commented on me he having one " Oh that is a good idea, I recommend everyone having one". I have been thinking of putting one on my mini, for documentation of what we're doing day to day, so there is no well you did this or didn't do that, when charging for pot holing and you submit the bill oh you couldn't possibly have had that many hours in that and so

  18. #18Baxsie2025-11-02 09:49

    Every car gets one. If they make one for your car, the https://fitcamx.com/ is great. A little more expensive but it looks factory. Here is my FitCamX catching the accident when I made a very bad U turn: I saw the first two white vehicles coming from behind, but did not see the 3rd black vehicle. It is not good news, but it is good to know what happened.

  19. #19HarleyHappy2025-11-02 10:44

    Whoopsie.

  20. #20Truck Shop2025-11-02 14:34

    Road looks very familiar.

  21. #21Baxsie2025-11-03 00:08

    Highway 27 south of Spokane

  22. #22Georgia Iron2025-11-03 03:22

    I understand your view. I question if you have put enough thought into it. If you want freedom toss your phone in the trash. A dash cam is not much compared to that. Almost every major road trip I am on, I see a major wreck or just manage to avoid one. I just got back from traveling up the east coast pulling a 40' camper with my f450. I am in the slow lane going 75 mph. A tractor trailer is riding along in the no trucks in the left roadway. He does not have the ability to pass because of heavy traffic. He decides to come on over on top of me and force me and my family off the road. It was dark out, I maintained control and luckily did not hit something on the roadside. He almost got my whole family in a major wreck. Now I have a temper problem and I almost ran his ass down. I let it go.. kids screaming why is he doing that.. etc Truckers are complete idiots that should never be allowed in the left lane and they should be required to drive 5 mph slower than the speed limit everywhere. If I were running patrol it would be instant ticket for them being in the left lane. I love how they will ride side by side and block the whole roadway for 10 mins because the truck in the left lane won't or can't speed up. Box trucks should also be required to stay out of the left lane. Our roadways are full of morons and unbelievable heavy traffic.. Honestly i don't know how I was able to keep him off of me. His back tires on the hauler were just infront of my front tires of my truck. He never stopped coming over and just came right into my lane.

  23. #23Old Doug2025-11-03 07:21

    I was in a wreck a few years back but if i would have had a camera it would have been face the rear . I was at a stop light and a car plowed into me . Then later on they said i was backing up. I had to get a lawyer . I cant remember but i didnt have to pay for their car but i cant remember if they payed for my car or lawyer .

  24. #24treemuncher2025-11-03 07:52

    Most of the better units will have 3 cameras. Front, rear and cab interior. This way, everything is pretty well covered.

  25. #25Truck Shop2025-11-03 08:03

    Sorry that happened to you and your family. For the most part I agree with 98% of what you said. Highways are littered with bad apples behind the wheel of heavy weight vehicles. But there are a small percentage of professional drivers still trying to operate without causing hate and discontent. Unfortunately many have this idea of surreal heroism in todays volume of drivers, no driver is a hero. It's just a job like any other job, and a part of that job is sharing the road with everyone else, including all occupants of other vehicles. The children riding in the back seat of car next to them are a special commodity too, along with their parents. * People have a tendency of hating California, but in California a truck traveling in the left lane {hammer lane--that term came from a actual road in Tracy California called Hammer Lane} is not allowed in left lanes except to pass. At least the law was adhered to years back. * I don't take your view as personal, I understand how you feel. It's one of the reasons I don't care for driving anymore.

  26. #26MG842025-11-03 19:16

    FWIW I have a flip phone, it makes calls and sends texts (poorly). No GPS, no wifi, no blue tooth, no connecting to my vehicle, etc. While I'm a CDL holder myself, I do share some of your same sentiments about tractor trailer traffic these days. I just try to avoid the interstates when possible, some are worse than others. I-81 through VA is awful, its basically an 80mph demolition derby.

  27. #27materthegreater2025-11-03 22:12

    Does the HEF app work on it? Can't be missing any of the action while you're at work!

  28. #28MG842025-11-04 07:12

    Lol definitely not, only on my PC.

  29. #29HarleyHappy2025-11-04 08:12

    Cameras everywhere. Just found out yesterday, wife has the track app turned on, on my phone. Was able to see me out in the woods yesterday, till 1:30 in the afternoon. She knew when I pulled into the driveway, to let the dog out. Claims she turned it on for hunting season.